D-Dimer Test

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've had this huge worry of DVT over the past 3 weeks. 3 weeks ago I had an ultrasound of my entire leg that came back normal. My leg has still been sore the past 3 weeks and I don't know if it's because I'm thinking about it. Last night I had a severe panic attack that I thought was PE, and turns out it was just a bad panic attack. They did a D-Dimer test that came back negative for PE. But would a D-Dimer test rule out PE as well? Doesn't it just look for thrombosis in general, which includes PE and DVT. I just want to stop worrying about it.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You cannot have a PE if you dont have a DVT, a PE is when a part of a DVT breaks off and travels to the lung.  If you have had a D-Dimer and ultrasound that have come back negative, you are just worrying unnecessarily. I think you need to see the doctor for your anxiety
  • Posted

HI, having just had a DVT you would know, especially in your leg as the pain is incredible, felt like I was carrying a red hot lump of lead around. I also had what felt like little sausages all up my thigh.  I did not have a PE as went onto blood thinners straight away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.