225mg SA 24hr Tab vs. 3x75mg SA 24hr Tab

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently (1 month ago) been changed by my health system fromĀ 225mg SA 24hr Tab once in the evening to three 75mg SA 24hr Tabs in the evening. On the single 225mg SA TAB I felt great and had plenty of energy, however, now on the three 75mg tabs, I now feel extremely tired and am lacking any drive whatsoever. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am assuming you are talking about Efexor. Why are you taking of an evening?? Generally a morning med because of the dreams/nightmares it can cause.

It could be that you are waking at night due to dreams and possibly not getting enough sleep.

I've not known Efexor to present in a 225mg tablet either, as far as I'm aware they come in 37.5, 75, 150mg but if you're not in Australia it could be different.

Ask your doctor some questions. It's your body. My go knows I won't just take tablets on his say so. Got to blow a beaut raspberry at him last visit over medication

• Posted

Hi, firstly there should be no difference between taking 3x75 or 1x 225 provided:

1. . Both pills are from the same manufacturer ie same brand. Generics are known to differ

between brands due to different manufacturing processes and additives some people can

react very adversely to a change in generic brand.

2. The tablets are the same release mechanism type, ie Immediate release or

XR ( extended or sustained release). You mention SA 24 so im assuming that's

an extended release once a day tablet?

3. you are not taking the tablets at exactly the same time or you are dosing

differently with regard to your food intake?

if neither of these is the case then there should be no reason for any different effects from

the tablets and if it keeps happening I suggest you go back to your Doctor or pharmacist and discuss

it with them. You may have a deffective batch, ask for a different batch. if this doesnt offer you a solution

and you can't get past the side effects then you need to demand the 225mg ( they should be cheaper anyway

your insurer.

• Posted

Agree with everything you say but these are sustained released tablets over 24 hours. So why doubling up on a dose that hasn't stopped working??

I'm trying to come off a dose of 450mg mane. All doctors state it is a high dose. You are on the same dose but in two halves. I'm not surprised you are extremely tired etc.

• Posted

I dont think the poster is doubling the dose.

He\She is on 225mg SA. The doctor or insurance plan has just

changed the the 1x 225mg tablet to 3 x 75mg tablets which =still

a total 225mg.

Apart from taking three instead of one tablet nothing else has

changed.

Effexor hits Norepinephrine at doses 225mg+ and so for some can be

more activating at higher levels rather than sedating.

Was it beneficial to you at that 450mg?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.