Crushing upper back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

Can someone tell me if they have ever had what I can only describe as crushing upper back pain similar to what you would get when you have heartburn but its just in my darnnit back and it feels like there is a pressure feelig on the upper part of my spine. When the spine is touched there is no pain either!

I sleep ok, I wake up it feels normal but then it starts again mid morning leading all the way into the night, its frightening me now to the point I think this might be a tumor on my spine from lung cancer. 

Been to the GP twice and they say its posture & muscular, I am at a loss, feel like my back is strained (like it would when you have been standing for a long time) but just upper back - also was picking some shopping up the other day and my right hand got painful like a spasm, could this be related?

I am so nervous to go back to the GP, any advice would be very welcomed.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would be asking for a scan if it was me, find out for sure what is causing it.

When I suffered upper back pain in 2014 I went to about five different GPs and was treated for PMR, put on a course of steroids, which did nothing. The last GP I went to booked me in for a CAT scan but before I had a chance to get it done the pain got real bad and I suppered extreme back and leg pain and started feeling numb around my belly.

Turned out I had non-Hodgkins lymphoma in T5 which had broken down and was pressing on the spinal chord. Ended up being classed as a paraplegic at first, took a year before I got my legs working again and I am still having trouble walking and in a lot of pain.

If I had the scan sooner I may not have done the damage I did to the sc and may not have ended up in a wheelchair.

• Posted

I think I should this pain is just crazy, so scared though of what I could be. I am very scared. 
  • Posted

I would definitely ask for an MRI or a Ct scan to rule out anything significant. If it's in your shoulder blade/rhomboid area you could have weak muscles. I have experienced this and building up muscle strength helps a lot.  It can feel like a tightness or heaviness in your lungs because of where it's located. Another thought could be acid reflux? Could you have a hernia? This can cause a burning feeling as well and take on many different aches and pains also my experience especially if you are taking nsaids for back or neck issues.

• Posted

Hi there

Thanks - it feels like reflux chest pain however it is in my back, I am so nervous too and its not helping matters!

I am very scared to the point of where I cannot function anymore!

• Posted

Why are you scared? You don't know anything right now. Until you have concrete evidence of something wrong you shouldn't be worrying yourself. It's probably anxiety, you have to have tests run to rule out certain conditions and until then you have to keep busy and keep your mind off of it. I'm not a dr but this is the same advice I would give to someone close to me. I would also push my Dr to run a test to rule out other things. 

• Posted

Thanks for your message - probably scared of the outcome if they give me bad news! I suffer so badly with my nervous and anxiety this is just pushing me over the edge really!  I am going to go back to the GP and ask them for a scan. 
    • Posted

There is no need to be scared, we have the law of averages on our side. The vast majority of the time these things amount to nothing, or at most a minor ailment that is easily treated.  The main thing is to get it verified as soon as possible.  I wish I had been given the same advice in my case.
    • Posted

Hi again

How does one cope? I am scared that I cant even cope now how will I cope then....sorry i am panicking and going off piece here...I am just so scared I hate waiting for test results too.

• Posted

How does one cope ?  Well in my case, it was easy, as for the seven months I was in hospital having chemo and physio/rehab I saw people every day who were worse off than me. Many of them were not going to win their battle with cancer or would never walk again.  As I did both, beat the cancer and learned how to walk again it was my way of coping.
    • Posted

Thank you and sorry to read what you went through. I am just so scared I think more of what they find and how I deal with it...probably over reacting right now but its just nerve wrecking as to what is going on inside of me & I dont know...

• Posted

U need to be referred for a MRI first of all ether by an orthopaedic consultant who deals with spins or an neurosurgeon. Yr doctor is second guessing and until and MRI or bloods are done he can't be definit push for this .

• Posted

Hi 

Thank you, I feel that they are second guessing, I have had 2 blood clots in my lungs before and scared it could be that now too. I had my bloods done beginning January and they were fine (but that doesnt mean anything)

• Posted

U need a chest X-ray takes 5 mins could save s life push for it . Giving yr past I can't believe they haven't done this

• Posted

Don't take no for an answer if they fob u off let them know yr putting a complaint in to pals nhs and If Need be ull write to yr Mp. So many have lost there life's due to miss diagnosis it's a disgrace. I'd for the chief of nhs to print of a report of those who actually do loose there life because of mistakes in the nhs . We would be dumb founded . For the sake of a few simple test they need to change there attitude.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.