A top tip for pain around the scar.

Posted , 8 users are following.

At my 6 weeks review last week I mentioned that I was still getting pain around the base of the wound area. Particularly if I'd been sitting and clothes rubbing the area it became quite sore.

She explained that during surgery the nerves had to be cut and that they were repairing themselves.

She suggested massaging the area over the wound every day with a moisturizing cream. I've done this now for nearly a week and the pain has gone.

I also use the cream to massage the whole of my leg as it was very dry after being painted by the surgeon. This makes me stretch down my leg as far as possible. A little further each day. I can now reach my ankles and get my sock on without the sock aid.

All good and no pain in my hip.

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

That's really good news. Yep I had same advice to massage wound area and it does work! Slow and steady progress !

• Posted

That is a wonderful tip hippy! Thank you for sharing! smile

• Posted

Hello, I'm sorry to crash your post, but I've been trying to start a new discussion but not having any luck!

I am new to this forum, but have been following it in preparation for my THR. I've been walking with a limp for sometime now and figured it was from my bad hip. Yesterday I had my consultation with the surgeon and during an exam, he found that my right leg (the same side as my bad hip) was longer than my left leg, by at least an inch to an inch and a half.

(This is the same surgeon that did my total knee replacement in July, 2014 and I can't help but feel the TKR was the cause of the length discrepancy, but thats another story)

I had planned to have the Posterior approach, as that is the only approach this surgeon does, however after seeing the discrepancy, he is referring me to his partner who does the Anterior approach, explaining that he could try and shorten the leg as much as possible with this approach, although I will still have to wear a lift after surgery.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has experienced this and who has had the Anterior approach and do you recommend it? Is either approach better than the other? This has left me very confused! Thank you for listening,

Betty

• Posted

Hi everyone

Thank you for sharing this with us

I have also been getting a lot of pain round my scare and directly under it. It's a very very sharp pain and I feel like screaming. The area also looks bruised its been like that for a few days d colour but the pain for a long time. I had my RTHR on 11th August so it's been a while. Still using one crutch as d pain is a lot n still weak.

I will try massaging cream to see if it helps me.

Thank you

Neena

• Posted

Hi Hippy. My therapist suggested using something soft like a cottonball and rub incision everyday several times a day until u got use to it the progress to something a little more rougher like a washcloth and so on until the sensitivity is gone. That worked for me as I had a very sensitive spot on top of incision. 🤓 LD

• Posted

Hi

Glad to hear that your scar has improved with moisturising, that's a really handy tip and good that you have made such improvement. I had my dressing removed yesterday and the star looks fine but very dry.i do.get pain around the scar and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on a specific oil I could use or just moisturising cream? Iv heard vitamin E is good for screen? My last scar healed a bit like a keloid scar and I'm worried this will do the same,I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Nicky

• Posted

Hi Nicola.

Yours sounds exactly like mine was. I didn't like to touch the scar as it was so sore until after my 6 weeks review when I was told to massage it with the moisturizer.

I've just used my usual moisturizer that I already had. A friend suggested E45 cream or bio oil as being good.

I hope you have as much success as I've had.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.