Topical NSAIDs?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried topical nsaid for pain/stiffness caused by PMR?

If so, what formulation, and with what results?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have used topical ibuprofen in the past since I have had PMR - to reduce added muscle soreness after skiing! But if you are taking pred you need to be careful, you do absorb some of the gel into the bloodstream.

I tried it for PMR pain - didn't really achieve anything. 

• Posted

I've used various topical gels/creams in the past, but not for PMR.  They work very well for additional soreness caused by activity as Eileen has said, but just don't cut the mustard for PMR.

• Posted

Great for run of the mill pain and stiffness, but a total waste of time for PMR pains in my opinion. One of those lavender things you put in the microwave does help me though.
    • Posted

I assume those "lavender things you put in the microwave" are heating pads. Thanks for the comment.

And thanks to all for convincing me that I will not try topical nsaids for anything relating to pmr.

• Posted

Yes a heating pad, I am obviously not very articulate!! 
  • Posted

When I had GCA - for five years, now in remission 7 years and holding.

My Consultants said  no NSAIDS at all they do nothing for the pain of either PMR or GCA.

• Posted

Yes, with beneficial results. I used Voltaren, but there are cheaper brands with the same chemistry. Prescription item.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.