I thought my worries were over !

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been suffering from acute vaginal soreness/dryness for over 6 months and then decided to self refer myself to a private clinic after numerous visits to my GP and practice nurse. I paid to see a gynaecologit who diagnosed vaginal atrophy, she gave me pessaries to insert daily and then twice weekly, I was elated when the symptoms disappeared.

However today at work the intense soreness has returned and I have also been suffering from shivering which leads me to think of infection etc

I know that this condition is accompanied with chronic UTIs etc

I have some more pessaries left and have not finished the prescribed course but I am gutted that the symptoms have started to reappear.

after a whole fortnight of being totally free from them I am at my wits end as this condition is so depressing and debilitating and advice please?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

The exact thing has happened to me. I had acute burning and pain last August, after about two months my symptoms were gone or almost gone. Then last month they started again even though I still use the yuvafem. Chronic feeling of UTI, and yeast infections, and burning pain.  Can't understand it. They increased my meds but still miserable.

I would however worry and see your doctor for the fever and chills, sounds like infection

• Posted

Hi donna thank you for replying to my post I think sometimes you have to use your own initiative I am going to wait until my six weeks are up using 10mcg vagifem and then return to my GP to see if I can be swabbed to see if there is any other infection or be tested for a UTI this has been going on for the last 6 months so basically back to square 1.
  • Posted

Kathryn

Are you sure you don't have  UTI?  I am in the US...what are pessaries?  Is that Vagifem?  I insert Vagifem 2x weekly for my Atrophic Vaginitis.  Please make sure you don't have a UTI. Drink lots of water.  

I hope you feel better.  Please keep us posted...there is a lot of help out there.

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my post, I am not certain that I do not have a UTI, I initially consulted my GP who examined my pelvic area took my age into consideration and the fact that my periods had stopped in 2012 and she prescribed a cream (Ovestin) I think due to oestrogen levels falling, however I experienced intense itching and i was not happy using a plastic insertion tube over and over again. I then consulted a nurse practitioner who said to persevere with the cream and not to worry about the fact that you are using an insertion method over and over as this is not a sterile area anyway and then hopefully i could get to a situation where the soreness had gone and I could cope with a smear she also recommended MIND ? When I got back home I was certainly feeling so low MIND for goodness sake these symptoms are so real debilitating etc the last thing I need is a referral to mind.

I then paid privately to see a gynaecologist and was given sterile individual applicators of 10mcg vagifem half way through the course my symptoms have returned accompanied by shivering etc so it looks as if I am back to square one!!!

• Posted

Hello Kathryn

If you do have Atrophic Vaginitis which can feel like you have a UTI the Vagifem does work but it does take time.  My GYN had me start with Estrace  cream each night for 2 weeks first,  then he started me with the Vagifem 2 times a week.  I started to feel better after using the cream then after a few weeks of Vagifem I finally started to feel NORMAL again!!  But first you need to make sure you do not have a UTI or yeast infection.  How long did she say to stay on Vagifem..and how many times per week? What did your doctor mean by saying MIND???  This is not in our mind...it is real discomfort.  If she meant that I am really sorry that she said that to you and do not take that to heart! The important thing is for you to get the right help so you can feel better. May I ask your age?  Where do you live? I am in the US. 

take good care...you are not alone!

Best🌺

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Kathryn, I've been dealing with "whatever it is" since this past July. I've been told it's an infection, than not, then vaginal atrophy, then not, then once again an infection, than Vulvadynia, then not, then I was told it "might" be a fibroid that's pressing against a nerve and I should have surgery to remove it and help the symptoms. I was also given a script for Estrace, which I didn't take because breast cancer runs in my family, and quite frankly, if my drs aren't diagnosing correctly, I'm definitely not taking.

What are your symptoms? With me it started with acute burning feeling which went on for a few months.... I took 2 weeks off from work....I bought one of those cushions, so I could sit at work when I returned. My symptoms subsided to almost gone....then I would feel like the area was sensitive to burning and inflammation once again. I have something new now.... after I urinate, not during, my skin burns in the area briefly, then goes away, and not every time. Sometimes once every three days, or once per week. It's sporadic. So, I'm thinking it's a nerve problem, not an infection. Or could be an after effect of whatever the original problem was. At this point, I'm beginning to just learn to live with it,which is very sad, since from the beginning I was up 24/7 researching everything it could be from the symptoms to every gyno issue it could be.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

My symptons are as follows: Just a feeling of being unwell, disorientated trouble concentrating, soreness, uncomfortable sitting at work, walking. i was determined NOT to take HRT due to breast cancer history in family, but I was at the end of my tether and my quality of life was suffering so i gave in and accepted my Gyno suggested Vagifem for 6 weeks to see if the problem can be eradicated (I am pessimistic) however life goes on and I want to work so do I improve the quality of my life with HRT medication (I have to give it a try) I have tried alternative therapy Soya, red Clover, etc etc 

I am also thinking UTI so taking huge amounts of natural anti viral garlic, vit C, etc and also drinking huge amounts of water I am symptom free at this moment but IS THIS THE HRT (watch this space) !!!!!!!

• Posted

Three years ago I had intermittent itching and burning.  A year ago my GP diagnosed Atrophic Vaginitis, I also had pelvic pain.  I asked if it was possible that I could have eczema, life time history.  She insisted it's hormonal vaginitis.  Have been on hormonal creams including Vagifem and Estrace and two other.  With each treatment my symptoms went through the roof...everything itched, burned and felt like dozens of pins, day and night.  ALL hormone creams exacerbated problems.  I ignored the pharmacist who told me I would be on them forever and not to use cortisone cream.  I used a prescription cortisone I use for eczema and this is the only time I had relief.  My GP still insisted that I have Vaginitis and that hormone creams gave me another yeast infection, which the pharmacist told me I would get continuously on these hormonal oestrogen creams and pessaries.

A week ago I returned to my GP.  She had been thinking that my problem isn't Vaginitis.  She is now thinking Lichen Sclerosus.  I am awaiting to hear from the OBGYN office for an appointment to determine if this is the case.  Meanwhile, I was prescribed a steroid cream and used it twice a day for a week.  After 10 days all the itching, burning and pain has ceased.  I have been tearing myself to pieces for a year and finally I've had 10 symptom free days.

I am posting here because I was told that my problem was not eczema, yet cortisone cream such as Betnovate helped....yes it does thin skin.tissue.  GP now says, if hormone creams don't work or make the problem worse then it can't be Vaginitis.  I am putting this reply here incase someone else is finding zero relief or worsening of symptoms from hormone creams and needs to get another opinion.  Hope you all find relief soon.

• Posted

how are you feeling? I have VA. The symptoms come and go. I was in and out of doctor offices, thinking I had UTI. I had a rash of UTIs about a year ago but nothing since. But I would feel like I was getting one. Plus, the itching and burning. I had the tests, did Vagifem,  creams, vitamins. They helped a little but I was still very uncomfortable a lot of the time. I'd have a few days of feeling okay and then afew days of feeling fairly miserable. I have  had 2 lasor treatments (ML) and I think I'm finally starting to feel better. I don't have the big swings and longer periods of feeling good. Ive stopped taking Vagifem, instead I take vitamins and V-Magic. Anyway look into the Mona Lisa treatments. I think it works, at least so far. But as I've counseled on this site, go to an  office that has experience performing the procedure. Make sure they use numbing cream if doing outer layers.  

• Posted

Hi Jean

Glad to hear that you no longer have to take the Vagifem after the Mona Lisa treatments..I was hoping we would not have to continue Vagifem.......although it has been a blessing!!  Just very expensive here in the states...with my insurance...what vitamins are you taking and what is V-Magic?

thank you

• Posted

Vmagic is a naturual cream, feels like Aquafor. I've been using for 3 weeks, throughout the day and believe it is helping. In terms of vitamins, Vitamin E, DMannose, Queritin, Aloe Vera capsules, and ultraflora probiotic capsules. Overall feel better. Still have bouts but they don't feel as severe. Mild in comparison really. It's more the fear that it might become something worse or that nothing is working. Becomes a bit of a headtrip too and I get very depressed.

• Posted

Hi Jean....I understand completely about the headtrip.....I experience that as well.  That area is so sensitive.  I think others feel the same way.  Some days I feel normal and other times I start to feel  like the beginnings of a UTI without the sting or pain if that makes any sense......reminding myself that oh yes VA is still there.....

Thank you for your info on cream and vitamins.  I see you listed Quercetin.  Is that an inflammatory?  I have that at home. And have been taking Probiotics.  Keep us posted in how you do with the Mona Lisa.

Such a blessing to be able to share about VA and what may help us and others that suffer from this.....

have a nice day!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Jean not sure what the Mona Lisa Treatment is please advise? I am coping at the moment had to stop the Vagifem due to nodules in the arm pits and legs taking natural supplements at the moment exercising and trying to stay positive have had twinges of a recurrence of the problem but trying stay positive drinking huge amounts of water vit c soya etc just a game of Russian Roulette to try and stay well and normal ! Take Care!
    • Posted

I completely agree with the head trip, I swear I spend my days bracing myself for a bad day. I'm fighting hard not to let this take over my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.