My PMR Story--From Symptoms to Diagnosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All, this is my first post on this forum, but I have been a steady follower since October 2016.  I'm a 62 year old man living in the United States and want to start by saying how helpful your posts have been.  They allowed me to essentially confirm a self diagnosis of PMR while waiting for my first rheumatologist appointment (took 3 1/2 months to get one due to high demand/low supply for rheumatologists).

I don't want to be too long winded, but would like to lay out my experience in hopes of helping others, as you all have helped me.  Here's a synopsis of my three, short-succession autoimmune events, which started on October 1, 2016:

Angioedema [Severe swelling of eyes and lips]  Had several days of this autoimmune issue.  Initially went to the hospital emergency room (ER) and was given IV steroids.  Twenty-four hours later symptoms seemed to have gone away, but then I developed very itchy palms and about 6 hours later angioedema swelling returned.

Urticaria  [Severe hives]  Woke up on 10/4/16 with welts over much of my body; feet were swollen and red, as well.  Again went to the hospital ER and was given another round of IV steroids.   Woke up on 10/6/14 with large welts basically everywhere:  upper arms, sides, back, chest, belly, back and front of legs, back of left calf, and bottoms of feet.  Over several days the welts moved around, but stayed with me for close to a week.  Met with an allergist on 10/5/16 to try to figure out what was causing the angioedema and urticaria issues--the doctor said we would probably never know.  Based on the severity and duration of my symptoms, he ruled out any typical allergic reactions such as to food, pollens, etc.

PMR.  The evening of 10/6/16, the first symptoms of PMR appeared--both of my shoulders all of a sudden became very sore and achy while just watching TV.  Had a very uncomfortable night sleeping.  Started out in the bed, but woke up about 2 hours later and then spent the rest of the night in a recliner chair.  My shoulders stayed very sore.  I woke up the next morning with my shoulders and arms very sore.  It was difficult to raise my arms, but this improved as the day went on.

Synopsis of the next several days:

- 10/8/16

-- Woke up welt-free and feeling pretty normal

-- Right wrist was a little painful

-- Felt comfortable enough to go on a previously-planned 3-day out-of-town trip

-- That afternoon right thumb became very painful, but was better before bed

Note:  At this point, full days tended to tire me, and my body become tingly and numb.  My head started to feel thick and my hearing felt numb.  This lasted several days.

- 10/9/16

-- Early through the night left wrist and left arm really started hurting--any movement was painful

-- Woke up a lot, but antihistamines I had been prescribed allowed me to go back to sleep

-- Work up with arms and hands very sore

-- Wasn't able to drive the car to go out to get coffee that morning

-- Got better as morning progressed

- 10/10/16

-- Around 1:30 a.m. (after 4 hours of sleep), woke up with right-hand finger knuckles "on fire."  Right shoulder was also very uncomfortable.  Due to the discomfort/pain, only got about an additional hour of sleep

-- Upon getting up (6:15), right hand and arm were pretty useless and left shoulder was very sore.

-- Right fingers could not be laid flat and middle finger was very swollen and sore

-- Conditions improved as morning progressed

- 10/11/16

-- Went to bed at 12:30 a.m. after getting back from 3-day trip.  Got up at 6:00 after a very uncomfortable night.  Shoulders and hands/fingers were very sore.  To get out of bed I had to slide on my back to let my feet down to the floor (couldn't use arms).  Couldn't raise arms at all without quite a bit of pain.  It was very difficult to open my medication container caps

-- Had to ask my wife prepare my coffee

-- Conditions improved as day progressed.  Conditions (shoulders/hands/fingers) started to return around 4:00 p.m.  It was painful to reach for and click my car seatbelt into place

- 10/12/16

-- Woke up around 1:30 a.m. through the night (after 3+45 of sleep)--went out to sleep the rest of the night in the recliner.  Shoulders and hands & fingers hurt and right hamstring muscle and knee were starting to be affected

-- "Slept" in recliner 1:30-5:00 a.m. and then went back to the bed.  Slept 5:00-6:30.  The additional time/sleep had the symptoms feeling somewhat better when I got up for good, but ...

-- Once again, had to ask my wife to prepare my coffee

-- Had follow-up appointment with my allergist.  He said that as allergists they'd done all they could do.  Next step was to see a rheumatolgist (and he hoped getting an appointment wouldn't take 6 months)

- 10/13/16

-- Woke up doing good, but shoulders still sore

- 10/14/16

-- Woke up doing good, but shoulders still sore

Fast Forward on the Timeline:

- Between mid-October 2016 and my 2/1/17 rheumatologist appointment, my PMR symptoms went way down in intensity.  I would have occasional flares, but overall things became manageable, albeit pretty annoying.  I began sleeping much better, but each morning it would take from 1-3 hours after awakening before my body felt "normal."  A lot of tired/week legs and occasional sore shoulders.  There were certain shoulder motions that I just couldn't do.  My shoulder and arm muscles also felt weaker than before the start of the autoimmune issues.

- My rheumatologist is roughly 40 years old and is an awesome guy.  He was very willing to allow me to provide him my self diagnosis, in addition to going through my experiences/symptoms.  He agreed with my assessment of PMR and elected to put me on a year-long, tapered prednisone regimen.  The hope is for the PMR to burn itself out in a year's time.  My blood tests didn't indicate increased inflammation markers, but he said that that didn't mean I don't have PMR.  I told him that I imagined that my markers were probably very high the first half of October when I experienced lots of pain and discomfort.

- Prednisone.  He started me on 20mg for 2 weeks, followed by 17.5 for 2 weeks, which is where I'm at right now.  In future posts I can go over the full taper plan.

- Relief!  The prednisone has done wonders.  I'm able to get up and going each morning in 15-30 minutes and am now able to do many things that I hadn't been able to.  For the most part, pain and discomfort have gone away ... and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that any flareups are few and far between

Thanks for reading my story.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That was quite the story Jon. Do you not have a GP? It would seem to me you could have prehaps saved yourself a lot of pain and trouble had you worked through a GP. For one, a lot of GP's will perscribe pred while waiting for the rheumy so that you don't have to suffer.And he could have done the blood work back in October when it was important to do. He would have run a CDC. In fact your allergy doctor might have. You might check with him to see if his blood work showed any inflamation.Who knows maybe he ran a sed rate and a crp.

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback.  Part of the situation is that I'm retired military with healthcare through TRICARE.  While TRICARE is very good, there are some limitations.  For example, you typically don't have a set GP (there are several you will see at your clinic) and oftentimes one of them will be deployed for 6-12 months.  Since my symptoms became more manageable, I opted to wait on my rheumy visit.  Good point about the blood work requested by the allergist.  While I wasn't having PMR symptoms at that point, they may have run some of those bloods tests.  I'll give them a call next week.  Thanks! 

• Posted

I never had a raised blood test in 5 years of PMR without pred - not even when I could barely move and felt really ill. That is why I wasn't diagnosed. There weren't as many resources available online for simple self-diagnosis then - much of it has been created as a result of the charities in the last 10 years.

As amkoffee says - he may be awesome but he perhaps isn't that awesome! I think he may be unrealistic about you being off pred in a year and I hope he is willing to accept it if you are unable to reduce beyond a certain point without a flare in symptoms. The pred does nothing - it just manages the symptoms in the meantime. That he sounds to be aware of - but "the meantime" may be rather longer than he thinks at present!

PMR typically lasts from about 2 to 6 years for up to 75% of patients. The rest of us have it longer. Only about 25% get off pred in 2 years or less - and if they get off pred quickly they are at a higher risk of a relapse later. An Italian study found that 30% of patients still require pred after 6 years. 

• Posted

Eileen, thank you for the information and all your other posts that have been very helpful on my PMR journey.  My rheumy seems to be the type who will adapt to the situation.  While he's hoping the PMR will burn out in a year, if that doesn't happen I think he'll flex on the taper plan.

Thank goodness for the charities that have made the resources available to self-diagnosis!  Forums such as this are so helpful.

Maybe I'll be in the lucky category of having PMR 2 years or less, but I'm being realistic that it could be a much longer road to travel.

Thanks, again, for all you do.

• Posted

Men do often have a very different journey! Grossly unfair (IMHO) but there it is!
  • Posted

Hi Jon,

Your story is so similar to many here. I am 64 and woke up one year ago not being able to move my legs, extreme pain in shoulders and groin and needless to say my primary internist put me on an anti inflammatory which did nothing, then we tried another an no help, I thought I was going crazy and paralyzed at the same time. Finally got to a Rheumatoligist who gave me 20 mil of pred and a miracle, within 24 hrs Im cured, have been slowly tapered as low as 7 mil, got severe flare up back up to 15 down to 12 and have been at 10 for almost 3 months, not pain free but today I  put myself back to 12.5 mil and 90% better.

You are so lucky to have found a compassionate Dr who listens to you, I have been through 3 and not happy with any, they all want me off the pred, totally off because they dont believe in it. I live in Florida and its impossible to get a good Dr.

Good luck to you and thanks for posting your story,

Sharon

• Posted

Thanks, Sharon and good luck to you, too.  Hopefully you can further lower your prednisone mg and still be relatively pain free.
  • Posted

Sharon your story is very similar to mine. My rheumatologist actually came very highly recommended. Not as a PMR doctor but as a rheumatologist. However she wants me off of Prednisone as fast as I can. For starters PMR typically last two three years. So there should be no rush getting us off of pred in the first year. As I am tapering I was having problems once I got to 10mg. So I told my doctor that I wanted to try to taper on my own. She argued with me but I pointed out that we tried it her way and it didn't work so she finally relented. Well in 2 days I start at 10 mg and we'll see what happens

Jon I'm questioning you I'm just trying to understand something. I thought when you had Tricare you could go to a doctor whatever Dr. you want. In other words I thought that was kind of like personal insurance that you could go to a private doctor and not have to go to a base for medical services. So how does Tricare work?

• Posted

amkoffee, there are a couple of versions of Tricare--Prime and Standard, with pros and cons to each.  With Prime you have full access to military clinics and all they have to offer.  With Standard you can pick your own civilian GP, but can't go to the clinics.  For me, living in a city with a military base/clinic, Prime makes the most sense.

• Posted

Unless you live in Wichita KS. McConnell Air Force Base has a reputation for having some lousy medical care. Lol
    • Posted

I don't, but thanks for the heads up. 😊

• Posted

Have any of you been diagnosed with Giant Cell Artrietis? Had a tempral biopsy?
    • Posted

There are some GCA people on the forum - if you want to meet them rather than the rest of us you would be better starting a new thread.
    • Posted

Perry, I was diagnosed with GCA in March 2016.  I'll be glad to join in your discussion when you start a new conversation.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.