How do I tie my shoe laces after a Total hip replacement?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Guys

I read that bending can lead to the dislocation of a hip prostethesis so how the heck is one meant to tie up one's laces please?   At the moment I am 'nursing' a twenty year old compromised hip replacement and waiting for a revision and having extreme difficulty dealing with laces!

Cheers

Richard

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Richard. I'm waiting to have both hips replaced for the first time. I too can not Bend down far enough to tie my laces. I'm not sure where you are located as I am in Canada. We have a store here called Payless shoes. I purchased backless runners from them that have no laces. Imagine a Croc shoe but in a runner. They are the best no laces and no back part to worry about. I just slip them on and go. Crocs work well too.

Hope that helps,

Carrie

• Posted

Carrie

Many thanks for your suggestion which I will look into. I'm in the UK.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,

You can buy elastic laces called Hickies that you can put into your shoes and they become slip on. I have gone this with my trainers.

Sam

• Posted

Dear Samantha

Thanks for your suggestion. Another thing to investigate!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I used a 12-14" step stool while sitting down. Did wait until 6 weeks though. Before that I just wore slip on shoes. No laces to worry about

• Posted

Hi Richard, I bought elastic shoe laces, you can order on-line or I got mine at Walmart..they look pretty good.

Good luck

• Posted

Seems that elasticated laces are a popular choice..Thanks Richard
  • Posted

I'm now 7 weeks post op and still not able to do shoe laces. So I use slip on shoes with a long handled shoe horn to help.

It works well.

Also for getting socks on I used a sock aid until I was able to reach my foot again just a few days ago.

• Posted

Thanks. The long shoe horn is a good suggestion. I received my sock aid type thing only this morning so slowly getting it all together! Cheers Richard
  • Posted

Use narrow elastic it works a treat. Tie them and then they become slip on shoes.
  • Posted

Get some shoes with velcro closeure which you can lift acrsoss with a grabber. Backless shoes are probably a little insecure at this stage
  • Posted

I mainly used slip on shoes, and I have a long handled shoe horn. Also I've got some brogue type of lace ups, and I keep them permanently tied, loosely, and I can shove my feet in! ( Those stretchy laces sound good.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.