Hip Replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

9 weeks post op. I wanted to know if anyone else experienced burning by there scar. I'm also haveing pain in my lower thigh just above my knee as well as foot and ankle pain. It's not overwhelming. Its just always there! I'm wanting to return to work in 3 weeks. I'm a maintenance tech. I hope it gets better soon.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Franco,

A lot lot of things are normal healing after surgery. Nerve endings cause boring in some cases. Clicking noise with hip motion. Skin numbness near or around your incision. Swelling around hip, knee or lower leg and foot toes numb needles and pins.Warmth around hip .“Pins and needles” feeling at or near your incision. Dark or red incision line . Increased bruising if on Coumadin.foot swelling 

Abnormal things to watch for are ncreasing redness, particularly spreading from incision Fevers (above 101 degrees). Persistent drainage from your wound. Calf swelling or pain, particularly associated with ankle motion. A sudden "giving way" of your hip with inability to bear weight. Ankle swelling that does not resolve or decrease whinnyime. And last thing my doc had on the list is bleeding gums or blood in urine/stool. 

Soon you on you will be on the road to recovery. Each day you will get stronger and less annoying frustrations dealing and coping with recovery. On a daily basis it important to do bed exercises and walking . If you experience pain stop and rest. 

Wish you well well and recovery is baby steps and each new day brings sunshine on the journey thri THR. 🌞

• Posted

Hi

I am 10 weeks post op and still get occasional stinging by my scar usually when I've overdone things. Not sure about the other probs you are having might be a good idea to get it checked.

Julie

• Posted

The burning sensation is most often associated with nerves, and given the location, this is the most likely explanation. It will go away eventually. Massage can help the healing in the scar area (massage firmly ACROSS the scar to work out underlying scar tissue), but in the end nerves take their own sweet  time to heal. 

The pain you describe is commonly experienced as the muscles and tendons have been through a lot - and many people have also had them get less toned in the time coming up to the op due to more limited mobility. Time and exercise are the keys here. Gentle half squats and gentle half lunges will help to stretch and tone the muscles. Use a wall or chair to help support you initially and give you balance. 

Walking is great exercise - make sure you walk.

• Posted

I'm 7 weeks post op and was also getting pain around the base of my scar. I told my physio at the 6 weeks review and she said it was due to the nerves that had been cut repairing themselves.

She suggested massaging the scar area with moisturizing cream . I've done this every day and it really works. I continue massaging down the rest of my leg which helps stretch the muscles and can now reach my ankles . This also helps get rid of any swelling.

I also continue with the bed exercises and still sleep on my back with leg on a pillow. In morning any swelling has gone down.

Good luck. Every day it gets a little better.

• Posted

Yup still get burning at 20 weeks . I returned to work at 12

Weeks too and it was too early . Sorry not to be able to cheer you up !

• Posted

Hi Franco,

The burning sensation around the scar is very normal. It's usually because the nerves have been damaged in surgery. They could have been cut or just very over stretched. My first hip replacement was 1 year ago and I still occasionally get this, however, the site usually just feels numb.

The pain in your quad could be a similar thing where the muscles and tendons are so over stretched they take awhile to heal. It could also be referred pain from your hip. My physio told me it's most commonly because all the muscles around our hip are working so much harder that they get sore and very tight which causes a fair bit of pain unfortunately.

If it will make you feel better though, make sure you tell your surgeon next time you see them smile

Good luck

Jess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.