Is it ok to delay surgery if hip feels better

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have severe arthritis in my right hip and had a bad flareup in January and have an appointment March 7th  with surgeon to discuss possible surgery date. I also saw a new primary care doctor who has worked with arthritis pateints over 20 years. She put me on a pain management plan in early February that has greatly lessen the pain. A combination hot/cold therapy, rest, no heavy lifting, on a muscle relaxant at night and usual ipubrofen. My surgeon has told me it is my choice when I saw him in January. I know if I get the surgery I will likely need 3 months to get close to a decent recovery. Probably will be out of work the 3 months too. So, I am struggling with delaying this if the pain has improved at least for now. Anyone delayed their surgery and felt ok with it? I know it is a tough decision.  

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I did - for two or three years! I can't quite recall when it was first suggested I have it replaced, but at least that time ago. I decided to hang on until I was older so that the chances of the hip lasting a lifetime for me increased. It was the wrong decision. There were times when the treatments worked well, and I was better - not great, but better. But the trend was always downhill. And the deejay likely caused my osteonecrosis that eventually forced the replacement, but only after months of agonising pain that left Mr on morphine for some weeks. 

Everyone has to make their own decision, but truth be told, I'd tell anyone to go for surgery. And when the other one even twinges then it will be history. Never going there again!

• Posted

Hi

My advice is take the op as soon as possible, it will only get worse and more painful also it will only have a detrimental effect on your other joints (knees ankles etc)

I spent 9 months last year on crutches 6 months before surgery and then during recovery after surgery, but it's the best thing that ever happened to me being able to walk well and pain free is amazing and honestly the op and recovery were no where near as bad as I imagined.

Good luck

Graham

• Posted

Hi Sandy camper,

If medication is helping and your feeling better I would delay surgery, you will need 3months to fully recover from hip surgery.

You might want to try physical therapy that should really help. Also exercise classes in the pool of you have gym that offers that. Try all you can before considering surgery.

Let us know how your doing

Jackie

• Posted

Sounds like the pain management plan you are on is a big deal - with physical restrictions and pain meds. Pain meds can have side effects. And you never know when the next flare-up will be or how long it will last when it comes, as it will come. You'll have to take the time off for recovery no matter when you have the surgery done, so does that really make a difference? Good luck with your decision, Sandy.

• Posted

Why delay when you're in pain, it's only going to get worse ! 😬

• Posted

Mine was enforced delay of surgery because local GP a twit.

Never did a MRI to see what was going on inside hip, not pretty I'm afraid,

Hip joint falling apart and his letter to the public hospital was so wishy washy said I had OA, but no detail, surgeon in no uncertain terms told me to fire my GP, he said if it had been more serious condition this guy would have killed you.

After MRI suddenly went from Cat 3, non urgent to Cat 1, used for life treatening and cancer patients and even then had a 32 week wait for surgery, and only seen than because of local GP on holiday. 

Locum looking at my March MRI in August, by that time was not able to walk, getting in and out of car was a nightmare of agony, said you have had THR, told him if that was so it was news to me, he was shocked and picked up the phone and rang the hospital and demanded an immediate appointment, appt end of Aug, surgery booked 16th Sept, blood clot in left leg 9th sept put paid to surgery, finally surgery 30th October. 

DO NOT DELAY, we all had days when the pain was not so bad, even surgeon said it happens, when I told him I had good days.

• Posted

I delayed mine Several years. Shots, meds, take it easy. Wish I had it done sooner. Your decision. Good luck
  • Posted

Before it gets really bad and you lose a lot of muscle strength I would get it asap.  I waited using pain management, then had other health issues that prevented the surgery.  Now I'm on the wait list wishing I would have gotten the surgery!  Pain management stopped working and I'm in so very much pain!

• Posted

It is a tough decision but I regret putting mine off for two years. The main problem being you favour your good leg when the other one really hurts and my good leg ended up worse than my bad leg, so I needed both done in the same year

The other problems are your spine can go out of alignment as mine did and end up with chronic back pain as well.

Also your leg muscles become atrophied and take a lot more time to get back into shape.

While you are relatively fit I would definitely go for the earlier choice.

• Posted

Sandy,

I put my op off for a few months as I felt I needed time to get my head around the shock of needing a hip replacement. It was definitely a mistake. The pain meds stopped working as well, the exercises and cortisone/hylauronic injections (didn't work). From my experience it deteriorates extremely quickly and the chronic pain 24 hours was horrendous to live with.

1week on and the arthritic pain is gone completely. I am walking around on one crutch and the operation pain improves each day (unlike the arthritic pain!)

Just don't leave it too long. The fitter you are going into this op the quicker and easier your recovery will be.

Good luck with your decision. Ultimately you must decide.

All the best

Sam

• Posted

I held off for 15 years before I had THR but the only thing that changed my mind was when I started getting groin pain that was excruciating.

Recovery time is so different for everybody.

I had my THR  in April of 2015.I need to have the other one replaced as well.

It may be rough going for awhile but even though I still have some limitations, I will definitely do it again!

The thing to remember is that the OA will NOT get better in your hip and holding off to long may be the worst thing you could do.

I have OA in all of my joints (except my knees) and it's wonderful having no pain in one hip at least!

Talk to your surgeon and set up your surgery date. You won't regret it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.