I am 42 and have suffered with proctalgia fugax for appr...

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 42 and have suffered with proctalgia fugax for approximately 10 years. My mother and her sister also suffer attacks.

My attacks have been infrequent, approximately one per 1 month but have shown no pattern. They generally occur in the evening and are often preceded by a loose bowel movement or a feeling that I need to move my bowels. The pain begins in the rectum but then feels as if it spreads to the whole of the pelvic floor area including the vagina. The only relief I can get from this nauseating agony is to crouch down into a foetal position on the floor and rock and breath deeply as one would during child birth. I have also helped ease the symptoms by taking a hot bath or applying heat to the area.

More recently my attacks have become more frequent, 2 or 3 times a month and have occured during the day whilst at work. Embarrassing!

I am glad to discover from your information that this is not a condition to worry about.

[i:61105c6be4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:61105c6be4]

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have had proctalgia fugax for about 15 years. I diagnosed it myself after hearing the condition explained on a Radio 4 programme. The symptoms described were exactly the ones I experienced; I always get it in the middle of the night, often when in deep sleep. A pain in my rectum wakes me up then increases in intensity until it reaches a maximum. This usually lasts for about 20-30 minutes when the pain subsides and then goes completely. There are never any symptoms inbetween attacks. The intensity does vary; usually it is never more than uncomfortable but there have been some attacks when I was beside myself with pain and very nearly passed out. The attacks occur about once or twice a year but when I was taking the beta blocker, atenolol, the attacks became much more frequent, about fortnightly. When I stopped taking atenolol, the once/twice a year frequency resumed.

I do not have any other digestive problems and have a very high fibre diet, always have done. Hope this information helps other sufferers.

[i:7263aa2ba0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7263aa2ba0]

• Posted

I am 56 and have had a periodic rectal pain for years. I'm hoping it's procatalgia fugax. They occur one to two months apart, almost always at night when I'm laying in bed (once during the day when I was standing up). If I had to locate it, I would say the pain is toward the front side of my rectum - right at the lowest point on the torso I would not describe it as a sharp pain - more of a severe discomfort. Usually tensing my muscles (either butt or stomach) helps - but maybe this just takes my mind off of it. It usually lasts for 5 minutes - sometimes as long as 10 minutes - then goes away and I'm fine. I'm not sure, but I think they come less often if I'm getting more exercise.

-r

[i:88d9a9d55a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:88d9a9d55a]

• Posted

Thank you for your description. I've had these symptoms (likely proctalgia fugax) for such a long time - - I'm 40 now and I think this started when I was in my teens, although it went away for several years at a time and has now returned with a vengeance, occurring now about twice a month. Stress at work seems to make it worse. The pain is really severe and wakes me in the middle of the night. It feels like the pain travels from my rectum way up into my stomach and has been triggered in the past by bowel movements. I feel intense heat and nausea, start sweating like crazy, and feel like I will throw up or faint, which I thankfully have not done. Sleeping on my stomach seems connected to the pain at times, and also very embarrassingly, a sexual dream will sometimes trigger these spasms. The episodes start out mildly but grow in intensity for several minutes until I sometimes can't do anything except call for help (my husband brings me ice and ibuprofen). Gradually the pain will subside and the whole thing will last from 15 to 30 minutes, sometimes with two complete arcs of pain in a row. Then the pain disappears completely. I too eat a high-fibre diet and exercise regularly, but I wonder if I'm getting too much caffeine and if that could be a factor. I also wonder about traumatic emotional factors.

[i:ac99c118f9]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ac99c118f9]

• Posted

I just discovered the name for my affliction - having suffered this for 12 years. I did a Google search and up came this link. The pain I suffer is excruciating and I feel as though I'll faint or vomit. It lasts 20-30 minutes. The only way I get relief is to bear down while breathing, as in labor. I will be drenched in perspiration once it's passed and my face is blanched. If I'm "lucky" this will occur at home but has occurred at work.

I saw a proctologist, thinking I had a disease but there's nothing anatomically wrong. My pain involves my

lower groin and pelvic muscles. It begins on the left side of my rectal area and there's a pause in the pain

before it shifts the right side and the agony begins again. I am glad to finally have a name for what I

have been suffering all this time. I have found stress exacerbates it and I can have episodes as often as every 2 or 3 months. Other times I'll go a year without an attack. Thank you

• Posted

I know the feeling - Ive fought with it since I was 5, 36 now and still having problems, my pain wakes me up and the only relief I get is at night after 2 zopiclone.  The entire day is a battle of sharp cramping pain.  Drives me insane, tried botox injections, all tablets, any ideas ??
  • Posted

Hello, I am nearing 60yrs old, male and have had this experience for approx 15-20 years. Happens 99% of the time after I have fallen asleep. Wakes me up and causes severe pain to my rectum as if something is stuck at the very end of my rectum that will not come out. I have passed out several times and most often get chills and sweats from the prolonged pain.

The episodes can last from 15-40 mins for me and I experience them possibly 6-8 times a year with no pattern. I have had this happen to me during the daytime also.

My best remedy has been to sit on the toilet hunched over (rocking also) and apply continuous gentle pushing (as if I were trying to deficate). Gentle pushing. I have been reading much about this as of late and next week (Jan -2017) I will be seeing my primary care Doc to ask for a topical nitroglycerine salve I have read helps to quickly relieve the spasm and pain.

These are my best suggestions and I wish all well with this problem.

• Posted

I took (2) 325 mg aspirin with a glass of water and the pain went away within 10 minutes. The next evening I took a psyllium capsule and magnesium vitamin. I try avoiding cows milk, but drinking soy, almond, or rice milk, and eating yogurt seems helpful.  
  • Posted

Hello,

I found that taking Magnesium suplement (maybe in liquid format is better) helps so much. I have registered in this web just to tell you this, because I suffer this proctalgia too,

I hope this helps

Thank you!

• Posted

I am 32 Male i get these cramps some times during the night. The pain seems to come on lightly then the pain gets worse. The pain is so uncomfortable. I have started taking magnesium tablets to see if it helps. The one thing that helps me and makes the pain go away straight away is douching with warm water. That is my go to .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.