compression stocking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is a thigh length stocking better than a knee length stocking for a thigh length dvt?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My understanding is that the stocking is to help blood flow through the affected area, so if the clot is in the thigh it would make sense that is where the stocking should be. Mine is in the calf and after 8 months I still wear a stocking a lot of the time.
  • Posted

Yes you definately need a thigh length stocking. I had a DVT from my knee up and across my abdomen and I have to wear a thigh length stocking.  You will also need a good suspender to hold it up, I bought one quite cheaply on line specifically for compression stockings.  
    • Posted

For dome reason my hospital have given me a knee length stocking, I was sat here thinking I should have a thigh length one I get alot of pain behind my knee I think this would help I am going to call my nurse tomorrow thats when he's in clinic.
  • Posted

the stockings the hospital gave me were useless, they were not even proper compression stockings. I went to my practice nurse and she measured me to get the correct size and gave me a prescription.  I dont know if you are in the UK but she put them on repeat prescription and I am allowed two stockings on the National Health every three months
    • Posted

I am in the UK I am ringing my nurse tomorrow to ask for some thigh length stocking as my dvt is in my thigh seems sensible to have thigh length stocking also having terrible problem with pain at knee so thought this would help
  • Posted

Let us know how you get on. 
    • Posted

Apparently new studies show a knee length stocking is sufficient

However I'm being re scanned on Fri after explaining all symptoms and telling him I was sent away from hospital he has told consultant who thinks clot may have got bigger and I need medication changed.

So ill see I guess

• Posted

Are you currently on anti coagulants? Did you get a proper medical stocking?
    • Posted

Yes I'm on apixaban 5 mg twice a day and iv got a knee length one and apparently reports have shown that knee length are all thats needed ,im being re scanned tomorrow as they think all the pain is because the dvt has got bigger and the medication isn't working so back to the drawing board 😢
    • Posted

Being on Apixaban should mean the clot shouldn't have gotten any bigger. I'm on Apixaban also with no side affects. Fingers crossed the scan is positive.
    • Posted

Just saw this. Who told you that knee length were fine? That's for prevention of DVT , not for once you have one where the clots up above the knee. Roll eyes.

• Posted

Well I am not medically qualified but that seems strange to me, a compression stocking is compression graduated to help keep the blood flowing but it is also to reduce swelling and help stop post thrombotic syndrome which can cause severe swelling. I dont see how it can do that if its in the lower leg and the clot is in the upper leg.  I had new full length ones prescribed by my surgery only last week. Good luck for Friday.  
    • Posted

Ah I don't know what's going on maybe I'll feel a bit more reassured after tomorrow

Right now I'm tired and in pain just want life to go back to normal

I'll let you know how I get on 😊

Hope things are going ok with you? Xx

• Posted

I hope you get sorted tomorrow.  I am ok thanks,  its a year since I had my DVT but i had it washed away with an angiojet.  I still have some pain when I walk fast but its manageable, I walk as much as I can, at least 2 - 3 miles a day.  I have been told to wear the stocking for 2 years. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.