Concerned with my bowel

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi.

I have been diagnosed as having IBS but wondered whether any of these symptoms could be something more sinister.

I have had hernia, appendix removed through open surgery, bowel loops and a bad case of adhesions nearly 5 years ago.

The new problem started January this year with a discomfort in my left side same height as belly button. Bowel movements were fine.

Since then I have been rushing to toilet as soon as I wake and then again around 10 minutes after then that's me done for the day until recently.

For the last 5 days I feel like I need to have a bm but don't go - not constipated or anything and feel pressure in my bottom - no pain just pressure

Does this sound familiar or is it just IBS being another pain

No blood in stools no mucus they do change from hard to soft but though that was just diet

Am scared and confused. I am 38 year old male.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Also I do have under active thyroid and acid reflux which I take lanzosprazole

A CT scan I had was clear and also all my blood test have been perfect

• Posted

hi go back to your doctors hope u get better soon mags
    • Posted

Hi

Had colonoscopy today and they said there was no gross problems.

They took 3/4 biopsies from colon wall. Is that normal?

• Posted

yes  its normal,i had the same done,try chill and not worry,it be ok all the best mags smilex
  • Posted

i also had cyst removed and biopsys ,it all came back fine smile
    • Posted

your welcome all the best ,let me know how you get on tc smile
    • Posted

Hi thought I would let you know that all came back negative. I think stress and watching what I eat has been the way forward recently.

Still get some symptoms but easier to manage now after the scope.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Hope you are well

• Posted

Hi Krisjb

I have the same problem like you have for one and half year now. I am not only brave to do clonoscopy. Its been 4 years that they removed my galbladder but i never get well. I kept having pain in my right side and suddenly i got a sever left pain a year ago. My entire colon is in pain now. I have a sever constipation. everything changed after the galbladder surgery. i am not the same person anymore. Doctor wants me to do colonoscopy but i am afraied to do it. I dont like the sedation medication it scares me. Especialy when he told me they gonna use Proponol the one that killed MJ. I dont know what to do. sad

Can IBS effect the upper part of the colon? And can it give the severe constipation instead of dierria? Beacuse I am severely constopated and when I have Bowl movment I can feel it's moving especially in the upper left curve. I get terrible pain and pressure until it goes down and out. Then I get burning pain my pain eases if I sleep on my left side. So I don't know if I have IBS or something else. I can not stop worrying. I keep thinking about what if I have this or that.

• Posted

Hi Cathy.

I always thought that if it goes on for a long time it's nothing sinister which in my head made things better.

I was ready for my colonoscopy and at the last minute didn't go for sedation as I read similar things even in the hospital literature. I ended up with gas and air and then a painkiller right at the end when it got uncomfortable That really worked and wasn't such a bad experience. This scope rules out so much that I had to do it.

In the end as my scope was clear I am convinced that a lot of it is in my mind. The discomfort that I had also has eased that it's only an infrequent feeling. I have cut back on a lot of acid foods and on a diet of elimination

I am having a scope down soon as a final check. But they have told me that it's IBS that was caused by adhesions - mine to is higher up on the left of my colon

I do hope you get to the bottom of it it is pretty stressful but i do think that worry that made me worse!

Let me know how you go

• Posted

Hi krisib

Thanks for responding. The problem is that none of the doctors that I go to accept to do unsedated colonoscopy. They all says we can't do it we must use sedation otherwise you'll be screaming your head off. I talk to them about my findings on Internet but all of them says nope don't even mention It. I've seen five doctors I mean gastronologiysts and none said yes. Now i am stuck here with my fear and my what ifs. As you said I give my self hope by saying if it was something bad I wouldn't be around anymore beacuse it's been one and half year now. But then when the pain comes I think what if it's a hernia or what if it's an ulcer or what if it's a tumor that is growing.

Then I tell my self it might be IBS not anything else. But when I read the symptomps of IBS it's little different from mine. For example, I don't rush to bathroom first thing in the morning but people with IBS do. My pain is mostly up in my left side where that sharp bend of colon is but people with IBS has it around thier belly botton. I get severe constipation but people with IBS has dierria. I also feel burning inside of in my left side colon from up to down and sometimes it goes to my back. I also feel pressure in the left side when I have BM. So you see that's how I don't understand what i have. Tell me if you have the same symptoms as well.

Do you think that I also have adhiseons? Beacuse I had a complicated gallbladder surgery 4 yeas ago.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi

This is purely from the experience that I have had but I too panic about all possibilities but I now strongly believe that brought on the discomfort.

Prior to my scope I did have a ct to rule diverticulitis and also any further hernias out. When I was in hospital with adhesions a few years back the doctors confirmed that I had blockages all over my colon and indeed told me this year that they can see very grainy images of inside the colon. Have you had a CT? I don't know if it's true but they said that they would potentially find abnormalities with a ct too.

I do also get lower back ache still now but my symptoms have eased and I think because I am not stressed (so much) about it and also eliminating things that hurt digestion. Yes my left side Also in uncomfortable so maybe it's the adhesions. Maybe that my help. In addition the rush to the loo has virtually stopped now.

I know exactly what you are going through and do hope it eases it is not pleasant

As for the scopes I don't know why they are making you be sedated. I don't have a good pain threshold but the only time it became painful was when the scope was on the far right and they put more gas in they eased that with a painkiller in the drip and then I felt nothing

• Posted

Thank you krisjb for responding me

Yes I had CT scan 4 years ago for my kidneys but it shows all my stomach as well too. And as far as it could show everything was normal. This was also after my galbladder surgery. So when I had this pain which started year and half ago the gastronologist told me that he won't send me for another CT since I had one. He told me that it's not good to have lots of CTs. But then he orderd a special imaging which is called MRCP and I did that. It took 45 mins to finish and the results were normal. I did many blood works stool tests and ulthrosounds all normal. The only thing that I keep canceling it is colonoscopy. But he said I can do the X-ray with barium. I never had this test befor and I don't know if this test is accurate as the scoop or it will show any hernia at all. I also don't know if my other test that mentions show could show the hernia at all. He never mentioned that I might have hernia at all. And I don't know if the CT scan they I had could show the hernia at that time as well or even it was enough at all.

• Posted

Hi

I didn't have the barium test either so really not sure how that works. Maybe look at what you are eating and see if that makes any difference.

I started a real basic diet so fresh food, fish and no red meat, stopped eating bread and grains and then worked out what brought on discomfort and irregular bowel movements.

Maybe the only way is the scope to completely rule everything out with the colon / bowel. Just don't understand why they won't do without sedation. When I had my pre op with the nurse I rejected it and she asked why and said ok.

You remind me so much of myself when all mine started. I think that any surgery on the abdomen literally opens up a lifetime of issues unfortunately.

I do hope it works out for you

• Posted

Thank you krisjb

Yes I think the same about the abodominal surgery. But I hope we can survive with all the pain. And I hope we won't have another surgery just to fix it. For doctors it's easy to say yeah you need another surgery like its fun for them but to us is a nightmare.

I really need a miracle from above to stop worrying and get my old self back. I wish for all to be healthy and I've in health always. 🙏

Beacuse a true wealth is a health not money😔.

• Posted

You are exactly right in all aspects of what you just said. I do hope things turn out good for you. Let me know

Kris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.