Confused after PC radiotherapy treatment

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a radical prostatectomy 4 years ago and PSA started rising, albeit very slowly, 18 months after.

It took 2 years for the reading to reach 0.3, a level which my consultant felt was the point where I needed further treatment.

I've recently finished a 6.5 week course of radiotherapy to the prostate bed.

I had a blood test a week prior to to my appointment this week. On my meeting with my consultant I had to actually ask what the result of the test was, all he wanted to discuss Was how the treatment went and how I was coping with the side effects.

I was disappointed to hear that the reading was still 0.2 but he felt that was OK telling me that the PSA will hopefully keep going down for a couple of months.

I asked him what if it rises to which he replied that no need to opt further treatment until reading climbs quickly.

My point is why was there a urgent need for radiotherapy if that was the case, I'd have been happy to monitor the situation a along!

I hope this all makes sense?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes it makes sense. If you are not a mushroom be courageoous and ask, ask and ask again. You have the ailment. The Consultant has a file. He talks, makes notes, closes the file, goes home and enjoys the good things he likes. You go home with unanswered questions and your ailment.

You have spotted a logical inconsistancy. Do not let the consultant off the hook - for your safety as well as you peace of mind.

• Posted

Hi Ted,

What is surprising to me is that your PSA was at 0.3 and your consultant decided to intervene. Generally speaking as I understand it, a PSA above 4.0 is the red line before intervention is consided desirable. Are you sure that other contra-indications were not present. 

After my radiation and hormone treatment my PSA was never better than 0.2. It

stayed at that for almost 8 years during which time I was monitored every three months. The oncology team were very happy and asked me "why are you doing so well". When it then started to rise no intervention took place until ir reached 13.1 and that was after a further 2 years.

Did you have your treatment on the NHS or was it private?

Hope you are feeling better now.

cheers

• Posted

I had a radical prostatectomy 4 years ago when my PSA was 6.1.

Initially the prognosis was good with no detectable PSA reading but after 2.5 years of monitoring every 6 months a reading of 0.1 was picked up indicating that some cells had been left behind.......after a the prostate has been removed PSA should be zero reading.

I was monitored for a further 18 months and told that 0.3 was the point at which I'd need further treatment.

Hence the radiotherapy!

• Posted

Hello,

I only know that 0.1 is the cut off to start treatment. So it would seem its going the right way! I suppose it depends what your point was prior to your op, was it removed clean contained TOTALLY! Have you seen the reports pathology direction .

No psa is below 1, 0.07 is the lowest obtainable reading. Your urologist must discuss whay you wish. Freedom of information etc.

Good luck I hope it goes down

Tommy

• Posted

Hi TedG

before I consider your situation more fully - please confirm if you are on hormone therapy and secondly is your Urologist a surgeon?

• Posted

Hi George, no I'm not having Hormone Therapy and I'm not sure if the consultant is a surgeon....he didn't operate on me.

I was asked to consider entering a study which included Hormone treatment alongside the Radiotherapy. I decided to opt out and go for radiotherapy only, and going for the Hormone treatment if radiotherapy was unsuccessful.

As there is still a reading I would've thought HR was the way to go but he said no, they'll monitor it instead saying you really DON'T want further treatment!

I'm probably worrying about nothing 😞

• Posted

I am surprised about the HT advice. There are trial results that show RT results are enhanced by concurrent HT plus HT continuing for two months after the end of RT. Further enquiry might be important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.