Confused - Mental Health Stigma is incredible!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was in hospital for 3 days, with abnormal ecg's. They monitored me for 3 days and didnt find anything abnormal, but my heart rate goes high for no reason.

When I did the stress test, they stopped originally my heart had gone up to 110, before even starting....

Apparently im anxious... no im not...

my heart gets up to 200bpm by the end of the stress test, im a very fit 24 year old, my heart rate on the cross trainer has never got up to 200bpm, its always been 160-180 maybe. But apparently this is ok?

The registrar comes and tells me, i have abnormalities in rhythm, but im low risk, I get to my doctors and he tells me theres nothing wrong, what the hell? they are going to monitor my heart for 2 weeks, I dont understand this at all, they said it was abnormal ecg's, so then they take me in, then he tells me abnormal ecg means nothing, then he says they will find out by that monitor which monitors for abnormal ecgs? how does that make sense.

Im fed up and sick of this, because ive had anxiety issues i cannot be taken seriously.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Josh, as someone who does not know you, does not know your medical history, you do come across as being anxious.  You are 24 years and too young to be worrying about something that your doctors cannot diagnose.  You are young, young people can have high bpm as well as very low bpm's.  It is not that you are NOT being taken seriously, you are going to professionals and they are telling you exactly as it is; you ARE worrying too much.  What they ARE NOT doing is treating you sympathetically.  That is a different area all together.  The more you focus on your heart, the more you are going to stress out, the more you are going to hyperventilate and the more your heart rate will rise.  You are not allowing your body to relax, even when sleeping.  It cannot be pleasant for you, but if you don't start being more relaxed you will end up with issues beyond your control.  Instead of medicating on prescription drugs (if you are) go to a health store; ask what they recommend for anxiety (don't go into your whole medical history), change your diet.  Look at what is good for you. I have copied and hi-lighted part of an article I found, for you to read.  There are no drugs involved, no happy pills  or advertising, but it might focus your mind better if you concentrate on how TO FEEL better.  Give it a while for your body to adjust as it is not going to happen over night.  I hope the moderators let this through as I truly think it will help you

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/treatment/diet

There is an expression "you are what you eat"  I hope this makes you feel better and less worried.  Go out there and enjoy life. 

I am sure others on this site may disagree with me, so I will say "this is my personal view". This is not a put down and no offense is intended. Let me know how you progress.

• Posted

Josh, I know this is all quite scary for you, but it's quite common for people to have abnormal heart rhythms with no ill effects.   My mother had what used to be called a "heart murmur" from birth and lived to her late 80's.

The heart monitor will give a good indication of what your heart is doing over the 2 weeks and the results will be much more helpful if  don't get anxious - a bit hard in the circumstances, I know!

Take care:  I do know what you mean about mental health stigma.  Attitudes are slowly improving but it really annoys me that if one objects it's put down to the mental health issue, not the stigma in someone else's mind ...... Grrrrrrr ....... 

I encountered this recently:  when I objected fairly calmly to someone being very rude to me, someone who knew I was having counselling for PTSD, my comment was dismissed with the suggestion that I should talk to my counsellor about what had happened!    Another grrrrrr ......

• Posted

absolutely im scared, but im also experiencing physical effects and none of this went on til the statin
    • Posted

There's only one way to be certain and to convince the doctors:  stop taking them for at least 2 weeks and monitor if the negative effects reduce or vanish;  go back on and see if they return & repeat the process and see if they go away.

I'll give you the example that convinced me the exhaustion and muscle weakness was caused by the statins:  on statins I had 2 cm of firewood delivered and it took me to weeks to stack it on the verandah.  Six weeks later when I'd been off the statins for 2 weeks I had an identical load delivered - took me TWO DAYS to stack it and I didn't have an ache or a twinge after it ....

• Posted

Hi Josh

F1 drivers have heart rates of up to 220 bpm which astounded the medical profession, until they ran tests on joe citizen driving in heavy traffic and found similar "high" pulse rates. So just relax, literally, take up yoga/meditation classes

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.