Confused with doctors instructions regarding draining

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi over the last week Iv had a huge abcess grow on my bum it's on the cheek and goes inside between them if that makes sense. Over the weekend it got more and more painful to the point now it feels like it's on fire so yesterday morning I done the usual trip to gp she put me on flucloxacillin and said because it's not started to drain then it will clear up a treat. Today when I was on my way to collect my son from school I felt a sharp pain and a pop when I got home o had a tiny bit of blood. Tonight That tiny bit of blood has turned in to quite a lot

Of the watery pussy blood I'm sure everyone gets on a regular basis. I can't remember as it was last year when I had a massive one but always have little ones but is the draining outwards a good or bad thing? Apart from the bad coz not wanting to leave the house now should it all be ok? Total mental block here so I prob sound a bit dumb so apologies for a long post

X

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi it is good news that it is draining at last and hopefully all the stuff will now come out of it.  It is a sign that the ab's are working.   Make sure you keep on taking the ab's.   Above all make sure you keep it very clean and sterile.  I have always found a dry dressing good ie mepore which you can get from the doctors.  It is ok to encourage it to drain but make sure your hands are very clean and try not to spread the infection. 

In future though go to the doctors sooner than later or as soon as you think it is going to be a problem one.  I appreciate though that they can grow huge in a very short time.   I get ones on my bum sometimes which makes sitting down very painful and especially going to the toilet.  Oh the relief when they finally heal. smile   x

• Posted

Doh - meant you can get the mepore dressings from a chemist,  not doctor.  x

• Posted

Thanks I thought draining meant good as it's actually relieving the pressure a bit now been soaking it lots in salt water baths to try and get it to drain better and clean it out I'm going in to town tomorrow so will ask about the dressings I'm allergic to micropore so hopefully it's not the same sort of thing. The doctor said yesterday that if it was leaking then surgery would be the option but Iv always gone with the idea draining is good and helps it just crazy how I can have ones which I can self deal with then a few times a year I get the ones which need meds. Iv had several removed by surgery and really don't want another one done. I really wish someone could come up with a magic cure as it can be so isolating and on days when I have to go out like to work it's so hard to explain it that I can't sit, bend, lift ect as most people just assume it's a little spot and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Or when I take my disposable baby change Mats to sit on or my doughnut cushion that causes a few strange looks too. I'm so glad I hadn't gone mad when I thought draining was good as sure gp said the total opposite and confused me x
    • Posted

And yes I'm bad for going to the dr at 1st sign I'm always being told Iv left too long ect as I will make excuses like I'm working or too busy I only went yesterday as I rang my boss (who is also my mum) to explain I would be a few mins late to work because of the pain and she told me to ring the Drs to make an appointment before coming to work otherwise I probs wouldn't have gone until tomorrow at the earliest. X
  • Posted

I've also had numerous operations to remove them from that area, in fact it was constant reoccurring pilonidial sinuses that got me the HS diagnosis in the first place. I would also agree about seeking medical advice sooner rather than later. I left one once thinking it would burst eventually and ended up needing reconstructive surgery when they had to remove over a third of my bum cheek! That was a long recovery and a pain in the arse (excuse the pun).

With regards to dressings, my GP is fantastic. He prescribed me a load of dressings (and put them on repeat prescription) that came in a zip round fabric case. Now when I run out I just take the case to the pharmacy and they refill it. I made a point of insisting that prescribing my dressings in bulk meant less wasted gp and nurse appointments for something I can now do myself. It's worth using that argument x

• Posted

Thanks I looked at dressings but decided today that trying to stick one accurately on myself in an area I can't see is prob not a great plan as would end up going wrong so decided in Aldi to try some of their continence pads and as crazy as it sounds them pulled up high at the back with big undies has worked a treat and easier to put on and change regularly too. I feel less self conscious and fresher now really strange how something so simple can do such a great job. I had pilonidal sinuses removed twice but was not diagnosed with hs by them it was several years later and many ops later that I moved to a new area and got an amazing new gp who started diagnosis and then referred me to a good dermatologist who confirmed. I have now moved again and back to my original go surgery who most Drs have no idea and although the 1 I saw had my notes in front of her on a screen still asked if I was diabetic as that causes cysts. I wish Drs had more training on hs x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.