Congenital hypothyroidism

Posted , 2 users are following.

8 month (since 8 days old, has never had steady labs) now on 1-25 mcg one night, and 1 1\2-25 mcg another. They are alternating her synthroid now, because her tsh is too high. She's been super fussy (is only been about a week), and was wondering if it was normal to be alternating.

Also, I've read that synthroid only helps with the t4 hormone. Why if her t4 is in range would they increase/tamper with her dosage for her tsh?

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Anndra:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

So you have an 8 month old baby who has Congential Hypothyroidism.  You say the baby has too much T4?

Levo (Synthyroid) is made synthetically and must convert in the thyroid gland to useable T3 called Liothyronine.  This is the hormone needed and used by the body.

If your baby has too much T4 -the baby may not be converting it into useable T3. You will need to talk with the baby's Endocrinologist about this and perhaps change the meds on your baby.

They have other meds, some are Liothyronine (Cytomel) Liotrix (Thyrolar), Armour Thyroid, Thyroid W, Thyroid S.  These are natural ones made from a pig's gland which is almost the same as a humans gland.

So Levo (Synthroid) is not for everyone.  Please ask the doctor if you can try a different thyroid medicine.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Thank you for your comment!

The last year came back with her t4 in range and her TSH a little too high. I'm still a little new to all of this, so any info is very helpful smile

Does her t4 and t3 relate to her TSH? Does the synthroid?

I've been researching other alternatives (like the pig hormones). Just a little worried about the dosage on those.

I will talk it over with her Dr.

Thanks again,

Anndra

• Posted

Hello Anndra:

The body works like this:

In our brains we have a Pituitary Gland, (PIT. Gland),  and it acts like a sensor.  When the T4 level is low  (T4 is called Thyroxine 4), the Pit. Gland  sends a signal to the Thyroid  (TSH, "Make more T4").

The thyroid has TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), and makes more T4. The TSH is a measurement on how the thyroid is doing and how much of T4 thyroxine is being made. It is an overall test not the individual levels of T4  or T3.

T4 is absorbed by the thyroid and converts it into useable T3 called Liothyronine. Now in some of us, myself included, we can't convert T4 well and make T3.

Synthroid  (also called Levo) is a replacement hormone and is a synthetic thyroxine.  It is man made, not a natural.

Pigs, glands are almost the same as ours, and are called NDT (natural dessicated Thyroid), which is made from grinding up a pig's gland. This medication has been around from 1900 or so.  The FDA was not around until 1940, so it was grandfathered in.  Now a pig is a natural animal and you can't put a patent or claim a pig as your own idea.

So this medication is very safe and actually the thyroid makes 4 HORMONES so you get T1, T2, T3 & T4 in it.

T1 and T2 are minor and not a big deal and for this issue we need T3 & T4.

I think if the level of T4 in the baby is a bit high then the baby may need a bit less Synthroid. The levels need to be adjusted to make it right for the baby.

Any questions just ask, I do not mind.

XO, Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.