Considering Subtalar joint fusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice/ help.

I'm twenty and have post traumatic end stage arthritis in my subtalar joint. Unfortunately I have pretty much exhausted all of my options (I've done bracing, medications, stem cell therapy, and cortisone injections). I am in constant pain and frustrated as I've had chronic pain for the last seven years. My doctor and I are now in discussion over a subtalar fusion. I used to be incredibly active, now most days I have a hard time getting out of bad. I really want to be able to go to the gym or run or something. I was curious if anyone has had this procedure done, what your life is like now, how your activities are limited? I greatly appreciate any help! thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Angela,

I had chronic pain in that area of the foot. It turned out to be tarsal nerve damage due to an accident. It was diagnosed by a nerve conduction study, and I had a Tarsal tunnel release surgery. The surgery partially relieved the pain. It was enough to make it tolerable.

Thomas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.