Constant Ear Fullness/Popping/Ringing

Posted , 5 users are following.

For over a year i have had ear popping, feelings of fullness in the ear, and just regular head tension that comes with it. The other symptoms are present in both ears and come and go randomly during the day. i can have one ear completely fine while the other pops or feels full. I have tried nose sprays, steroids a couple times, and muscle relaxers but none have given me a fix. I get pain down my neck too along with the headaches.

I have had MRIs, checked for TMJ, went to the chiropractor, and still nothing found. The thing is, the doctors say i do not have ETD because my ears look perfect. They have never seen any fluid in there and my hearing was and has been great. The ear never feels like it is clogged and cannot open, but rather i just get the feelings of fullness and popping. I have never been sick during any of this, it just started randomly one day. My nose is never stuffed up and i do not have typical sinus symptoms with it. That's what makes this all confusing.

It gets better when I lay down a little and I can relieve some pressure if i massage my SCM (muscle on your neck) and TMJ (though i do not have TMJ).

Recently i had 2 instances of nausea and ended up throwing up from the pain that got worse on the back of my head so i am now being treated for migraines but went a whole year with the other symptoms beforehand. It feels like my ear problems are pressure related and if there is not pressure in my ears, then there is pressure in my head. The pressure makes me head feel tense. My forehead and back of head get tight as i talk or smile.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this where the migraine symptoms start in the ear for a while and then becomes migraine pain. The ringing in my ear gets louder during a migraine and the popping gets louder during it so it makes me think they are related.

Let me know if you have experienced something similar!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I was just diagnosed with vestibular migraine and I have that fullness, popping and ringing to. From what I understand it is quite common with VM (maybe you actually have VM?) . The ringing and pressure gets worse during a migraine but it is there to some extent most of the time along with some tension down the neck. I don't know whether the tension is causing the fullness and the migraine or if it is the other way around but there seems to be a correlation.... I'm leaning toward the tension causing the fullness though, simply because, like you, if I lie down or massage my neck, getting the muscles to relax a bit, it does get better for a while. I'm not sure if this reply helps in any way but at least you know that you are not the only one with this problem.

• Posted

i have to say that registering for this forum and all the rigmarole one has to go thru to get here has triggered a migraine in me. but i wanted to reply to you as i have had the same symptoms . yes! i was diganosed with migraine by a very 'on the ball' e.r. doc,2 weeks ago.i believe it is the trigeminal nerve, which is one of the cranial nerves. cranial nerves are involved in migraine, most noticiably the vagus nerve (which is the reason for the nausea).

try keeping your head,face and neck warm during the winter.i have been taking baclofen which was developed for cerebral palsey patients.reglan helps once a migraine has started. keep lights turned down on your computer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.