Constipated on azathioprine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have left sided colitis and have been on azathioprine 75mg x 2 daily and two 5mg prenisolone tablets.  Have been on the full dosage of azathioprine for four weeks and now suffer from constant constipation to the point where I have to take laxatives and eat prunes.  Has anybody else had this problem? Have purchased a tub of benefibre but unsure as to whether I should use it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.  Janet

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

When I was first diagnosed with UC I was having the worst flare ups and they also had me on heavy prednisone, and after I was on lialda, after learning my diet and making a list of food items that I can eat and those foods that I can't eat which make me flare up, I am now taking no medicine and have been flare up free for 1 year almost. Hope this helps and hope everything works out for you.
    • Posted

Many thanks for our kind reply Boodap.  Just wish it was as easy as diet for me.  I have attempted many times to keep a food diary and can find no link.  I keep away from all foods that I am not supposed to eat, but still no remission.
    • Posted

Stress is also a cause for flare ups, but I hope you find a median for your flare ups. It's not easy and doesn't feel fair, but I always try to stay positive! Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hey not sure you'll ever see this. I have UC too, just came off Azaphioprine having been on it for 10 years. It's been 3 weeks now and I'm doing well but want to maintain a healthy diet. My diet mainly consists of eggs, chicken, fish, fruit, veg (mainly broccoli) and lots of water.

I'm really interested in knowing what your diet consisted of to remain in remission.

Thanks 😃

• Posted

Hi Janet, sorry to hear you're suffering. I have UC (proctitis) and ibs. I suffer with constipation quite a lot and been told by Gastro Dr that it's very common especially with ibs. I take Lactulose at night which helps and been told to drink lots of water. Still get urgency but it's mostly blood and pus and lots of wind! Constipation is so uncomfortable and I also get tummy pains with it.

I did take Senna but was advised to take Dulcolax as it's gentler. I always take it at night just in case! I find going for a walk helps too. Have you contacted your gp or ibd nurse? It's important to get it sorted.

Hope you are able to get some relief.

Kitti

• Posted

Hello kittd.  My doctor prescribed lactulose last Thursday and it worked like magic.  It has been a problem since taking the azathioprine.  Thankfully I am okay at the moment.  Many thanks for your kind reply.

Janet

• Posted

Hi Janet glad your constipation has eased. Saw my Consultant on Friday and he wants me to start on Azathioprine. Been having a flare up for a long time and nothing has worked. Had blood tests to check I can take it and see Consultant in 2 months. I was upset when he suggested azathioprine coz of side effects and I have it in my mind it's a bit of a last resort. Have you found it's helped? Worried as I regularly get constipated anyway but feel like not much choice left as steroids and other medications didn't work.

Hope you're feeling better. Sorry to sound like doom and gloom!

Kitti x

• Posted

Hello Kittd.  I too dragged my heels in taking azathroprine due to all the side effects, particularly long term risk of various cancers, etc.  I have now been on it for nine weeks and there has been a marked improvement.  I have to be honest in saying that I do feel fatigued and find it hard to muster any energy to get things done and have also developed a mouth condition which hopefully will clear up.  But anything is better than long term inflammation in the bowel.   So, do try it and see how you get on.  After all, it you can't get on with it then I am sure your consultant will suggest an alternative.  Have you got a clinic nurse you can phone?  Mine is always helpful and puts my mind at ease.  Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Janet

• Posted

Hi Janet, I think we've chatted before! I'm currently on azathioprine since Dec 2015. It's not working very well for me unfortunately, but I'm back to see consultant Tuesday. I've suffered like you with constipation on and off but put it down to just having proctitis symptoms with improved colitis. However in desperation recently I took a dose of dulcolax whilst on holiday and suffered the most awful stomach pains ever! I shan't do that again. However, just recently things have improved in that respect at least and I'm wondering if it's down to being lazy and living on a very low fibre diet. Very little fruit, veg or whole grains which I normally eat at home. I'm forever trying to find a non medication easy option out of this desease. One day I might hit on the answer to my prayers! If so ill be sure to share my secret! Hope you find some relief soon. It's a difficult illness to cope with day in day out! I'll wait to see the outcome of my next consultation on Tuesday. Will it be something else to try or just give up and stop taking anything!

Good luck Hope things improve for you. X

• Posted

Hello Louise.  Good to hear from you.  My GP gave me something to sort out the constipation, so problem solved.  I was told to stop the steroids last week and just use the azathioprine, but did bleed slightly this morning when on the loo.  But taking all things into account, the aza has certainly helped.  Perhaps it would have been wiser to take a steroid every other day for a week or two instead of just stopping dead.  I certainly agree, it is a difficult disease to live with from day to day frown.  Let me know how your appointment goes tomorrow.

Best wishes. 

Janet

• Posted

Hi Janet

Lately i have been suffering from constipation and its led to a major flareup..

Been on the foam for 2 weeks and it seems to have settled a little but the wind and blood are still as bad as ever.

i have tryed to change the diet a little at a time and see if it helps as i think that and trying not to get stressed every day is the key to this.

At the moment i am taking fibrogel 2 times a day and keeping of the lactulose as the stomach pains are too much to bear at work.

1g of pentasa supp, and foam at bedtime. Flareups are still here but they say it will get better in a few weeks.

also find staying active keeps it all flowing alot better.

4poops in 4 days is a bit of a record for me and i put it down to hydrating loads.

I do hope you get better and i might try the prunes next time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.