Continued symptoms after cholecystectomy for HYPER active gallbladder

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

on 2/28/23 I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea, abdominal pain (epigastic and RUQ) vomiting. I thought i just had your typical "stomach flu." My life changed forever that day. For 4 weeks I had severe nausea, abdominal pain mostly epigastric with occasional colicky pain to the right upper side decreased appetite and diarrhea. 2 trips to urgent care and 2 emergency room visits later, 2 HIDA scans showing I had a HYPER active gallbladder calling it biliary hyperkinesia with ejection fraction of 87% (normal 10-80)

My GI doc ordered a lot of stool cultures which were negative.

It wasn't until my third trip to the ER for severe nausea, abdominal pain they admitted me. I had an endoscopy that was negative and all my blood work was normal. Ultrasound and CT were negative. My only abnormal was the over functioning gallbladder they found on HIDA and they decided that removal should be attempted, but the surgeon did tell me there was no guarantee it would improve my symptoms.

After surgery, I had a very hard time eating with little to no appetite. Prior to surgery I didn't eat for 3 days, due to not having anything by mouth for procedures and surgery.

I'm currently 9 days post op and still have A LOT of nausea and reduced appetite. I also had diarrhea for a week post op but this seemed to improve. I have Reglan, Zofran, Benadryl and a Relief band on my wrist for the nausea. They help only mildly. I'm drinking Ensure and trying to eat small meals, but my nausea is worst at night and comes in these waves where I get burning/warming feeling in my chest and arms. I have to take Xanax every night to help me sleep, because I'm anxious and can't seem to stop worrying about not getting better. I'm also on protonix twice a day. I also got cholestyramine from my doctor to help with the diarrhea.

Has anyone else had any similar situation of hyperactive gallbladder with removal and continued symptoms afterwards? The nausea is just debilitating. Any insight appreciated 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I had my gallbladder (hyperactive) on removed 4/5/2023

Healed well and nausea was gone. Nausea was worst symptom prior to surgery. I went to KC 4/22/2023 feeling well. On 4/30/2023 nausea and sweating have returned. My nausea meds are at home and pepto not helping. Im praying this is just due to not eating as well Stools had been good now seem backed up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.