Copd dx age 40

Posted , 5 users are following.

I smoked for about 20 years, recently quit and had a pft I am 40 years 

Old. 

FVC 5.02. 98% of predicted 

FEV1 3.65 89% predicted 

Fev1/fvc is 73% 

Since I am currently 40 and Doctor says this is mild Copd, will it impact 

My life span and quality of life? Doc says to not smoke and not worry. 

However when j read online having these numbers at age 40 is not good and may 

Impact my life as I get older. Can anyone comment I'm pretty worried. Thanks.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi deer Ocker

I was diognosed In April with mild background copd I went to pieces thinking the worse

I do not need to take anything (ie )nhailers ect the best thing you have done is to stop smoking you will be able to keep it where it is.

Because you have been given this news do not let it change your life carry on as normal but with out the cigs you will relax about it all it takes time

Sorry I cannot be of more help but you are still the same person don't stress about it just be normal

Take care

• Posted

Hi you are young to be diagnosed with copd but by no means the youngest ever.  With a lung function of 89% you have very very mild copd.  Anything between 90% and 100% is considered a variation of the norm and you are only 1% below it. 

Make sure you don't smoke,  take plenty of exercise,  and eat healthily.  Take your meds as prescribed and learn to watch out for any infections ie exacerbations and seek immediate medical help. 

You will live to a ripe old age with these precautions and it should have very little impact on your life.  Your doctor is right.   Don't forget you do lose a bit of lung function as you age anyway.   The worst thing you can do is worry too much and not to live your life to the full.  So manage it as a chronic condition then forget about it.  x

• Posted

If you look after yourself properly there is no reason why you can't live well into old age.  As hypercat says.

Avoid smoke of any kind (passive or other)

Eat a good diet

Exercise regularly

wherever possible avoid those with a cold or the flu virus

Protect your lungs wherever you can

First sign of a cold act quickly.*

If you get a cold that goes to your chest, see your doctor asap so he can listen to your lungs and prescribe meds should you have developed a lung infection.

*I gargle with listerine total first sign of sore throat, 3 x daily until symptoms go then continue twice a day for a further 3 days then once a day etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.