Copd Exercise Classes

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am currently on a hospital base Copd Exercises every week twice for 8 weeks.

Does anyone know of any classes available for Copd Exercise in Bury Lancs as this class has helped my breathin stamina etc and i am very motivated for the first time in ages, i am only 52 and love life!!!!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, have you tried the breath easy classes run by the British Lung Foundation? They seem to have lots of them all around the country. Having said that I would have a hike to my nearest one as I'm far North (almost in Scotland) and not many up here. I used to live in Bury (Ramsbottom) to be exact and my 3 children (and grandchildren) are still there

Take care, Linda x

• Posted

Hi, me again, I've just checked the BLF site and there is a breathe easy group on Walshaw Road in Bury

Meeting First Friday of the month, from 2-4pm

Location The Parish Hall, 

St James Church,

There are others if this isn't convenient for you 

Take care, Linda x

Walshaw Road,

Bury, BL8 1PY

Contact BLF Direct 03000 030 555

• Posted

Arent' there groups called Breathe Easy or something similar in the UK?

Keep up that motivation!  I'm 68 and also motivated to keep up the exercises & breathing techniques I learnt at rehab:  I've maintained my lung function at 70% for the 3 years since I was diagnosed and notice my breathing and stamina is adverseley affected if I miss even a couple of days for some reason.

You could always form a private group with other people from the class or like me, just continue on at home by yourself

• Posted

On a roll today, don't normally go on this site for long, although it is a great site.

Search online for breathing classes in your area.  Where I live if there wasn't

internet and search engines I wouldn't be able to find anything!  Good luck in your

seach for a class.

• Posted

The other thing you may find is the fitness instructor at your PR COPD exercise session runs others course privately or can recommend someone who does.  

You may be advised when your 8 weeks end that you can join the hospital gym if they have one, with referral from the copd exercise instruction or physiotherapist.

An exercise prescription from your GP is another option. Your doc may be able to advise and refer you to another exercise group in the area.

If you are doing really well you may be able to hook on to a happy hearts exercise group (those recovering from cardiac probs) heart patients I've found have a lot more puff than lung patients but you can still do what you can without feeling the need to keep up with someone who can run for instance.

Another exercise group if you are not so fast moving is Extend, you may have one in your area. 

Not all Breathe Easy groups have exercise included and some are only meeting once a month, once a month exercise wouldn't be enough you would de condition just doing that.

During winter months when I can;t get out or its too cold to have a walk out I use you tube videos on indoor walking exercise, exercise for copd, breathing etc. 

Always good to have back ups I think. 

Your local library may have a list of exercise groups too.

​Lots of routes to check out, 

• Posted

Good info Vee2

Now that the weather is warming up here I'll have another try at water aerobics:  the only subsidised concession course close to me takes place very early in the morning before the pool has heated up much, which I didn't find fun or helpful to my lungs.

Ditto the general subsidised exercise classes - too early in the morning for me to go out in the cold weather.

Thanks, you';ve reminded me to not put off re-enrolling when it warms up a bit more in these mountains

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.