Coping with a recent diagnosis of PCOS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed wit PCOS a couple of days ago after years of problems, ultrasounds, blood tests and an MRI scan. I was sort of expecting it but I am 21, not over weight, don't have any issues with hair growth or acne but it has absolutely knocked me sideways. I'm struggling with the fact there is no reason for it and no cure either. Doctors have told me nothing can be done until I actually want children but I'm really emotional about it and struggling with the whole diagnosis. I've always wanted children and now the future is even more uncertain. I really don't know what to do and could use some advice from a community such as this that are going through the same thing.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I truly know how you feel I was diagnosed with PCOS it was 2012 I just had my little girl and my bleeding wouldn't stop I went to the doctor that did the ultrasounds and PCOS is what they came up with. I didn't take it serious at first which I wish I would have because here I am today in 2019 still spotting I got on IUD Mirena in 2017 it still didn't stop my bleeding but to be honest I think that we are going to have to change the way we eat and start exercising because that's the only thing that I haven't done that I see they say that we should do to make the PCOS better since there's no cure so try that which I'm going to start doing this year to see if it works.

• Posted

It's so difficult to get your head round! I was diagnosed in the summer last year and had not long turned 19, but i suffer with acne, tiredness, joint pain and other stuff! But i wasn't expecting the diagnosis and the news of no cure for it - it took me a while to get my head over it and pity from others made it worse for me - researching and speaking to others around who had the same thing helped reassure me - unfortunately there's nothing we can do apart from keep going and hope for the best - the more i let it get me down the more miserable i am with everyone around me! keeping myself busy always helps and just enjoying myself

• Posted

My story is very similar to yours. It is a lot to deal with, but having a diagnosis helps. My OBGYN teamed up with my GP to treat me. They gave me hormones as well as upped my dosage of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. That's obviously not for everyone, but it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.