Coronavirus has got me confused

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel that the instructions given to us in the UK are not detailed enough. They talk about the vulnerable groups (60 and over and with underlying health problems) but I'm not sure if I am in a vulnerable group or not. I am 70 this year, and have taken Methotrexate for years for rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis. I know that it works but lowering your immune system, and I have read also that Methotrexate gives a 'slightly higher' risk of contracting the virus whereas other similar drugs have more pronounced risks.

I am at home on my own at the moment, after buying some food and cat food in for my 3 cats, and feel perfectly OK at the moment, and am still taking the Methotrexate weekly. I have a social engagement with a friend early this week, a theatre trip in the next couple of weeks and a further one in April.

I have had instances in the past (not since last year, though) of very bad coughs which lasted six to eight weeks and have had bronchitis once in my life.

Should I continue with going out or should I just stay in, as I might be regarded as 'at risk'. I don't think that I will be passing anything on, I just don't want to get it!

If the government is trying to, at the moment, encourage 'herd immunity', by letting up to 80% of the population (the stronger ones) get the virus, and when recovered, won't pass it on, how do we know that is going to protect vulnerable people? At what point do vulnerable people become 'safe' to wander the streets again, not knowing if stronger people getting the virus have all self-isolated as they may not know they have it for a day or two or may leave their homes before they're truly well again?

I would appreciate some clarity on a) how 'vulnerable' is vulnerable - ie am I, with what I have mentioned above? and b) is this 'herd immunity' really going to work in practice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi, I think with the factors of your age and methotrexate you would be classed as vulnerable especially as methotrexate reduces your immune system - which opens you up to more infections.

however everybody reacts differently to methotrexate- I was on it for 7 years and had no more colds and coughs than anyone else.

the media is saying there could be 10,000 people who have the virus who dont even realise it. also the media are only looking at the negatives ( the deaths) nothing is really reported of the 70,000+ people who have recovered from it.

personally I am living my life as I was before ( I am on taltz injections - very similar to methotrexate) I have 2 children who apparently are the carriers of the virus. myself and wider family are continuing as before, obviously more cautious when out doing daily chores, washing hands more often. it's not practical to isolate yourself indefinitely, but I do think you are at greater risk as your age is the main factor plus you have a lower immunity. it's a tough decision for you. but this could take months till it's over- it's been going since november or maybe longer! all the best to you

• Posted

Thank you so much for your answer. It may be that the UK government will have a U-turn on this anyway within the next week, as there is so much bad press about their present strategy, and there have been hints on the TV that within the next week, more stringent actions will be taken, so the situation may be taken out of our hands, anyway. The friend that I am seeing is herself not in great health herself at the moment - we haven't met up for months, and I'm not sure that a crowded Costa Coffee is going to be the best place for us to meet up! I think I will talk to her to postpone for now for both our sakes.

The coughs and colds that I had were mainly before I became ill and before I had to take Methotrexate - my mother used to say that when I was young, my coughs were dreadful and they've always dragged on for weeks/months, so I'm not blaming the Methotrexate for that. After several false starts with other drugs, Methotrexate was definitely the one that actually worked for me.

What you're doing is very wise, being cautious without letting it take over your life for now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.