Cortisone injection in my heel will it hurt after?

Posted , 9 users are following.

IM having a cortisone injection in my heel for plantar fasciitis how long will i need to rest it for after the injection and how long did it take before anyones pain got better? THANKS MICHELLE

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi, i have had countless injections, some under ultra sound. i was always told to take it easy for 24 hours. GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Does not really hurt after just that you are advised to rest for 24 hours. Do not expect too much, injections work well in the joint like the Knee and shoulder where they are deep and have no bloodflow but beware of using them in the heel as they are not good for tissue and they dissipate faster with no joint to contain them. Anti inflamatory creams should be tried first as the PF tissue is very near the surface and thick gel heel pads to cushion the heel.

The problem is often due to tight calf muscles so stretching exercises are the long term cure but there are several causes and different area's of the foot affected.

• Posted

HI Michelle i had the same injection the other for same problem , booked the following day off to rest up , .The injection didnt work for me , since then ive had xrays on both heels , and found out i also have heel spurs , awaiting to see a consultant now . Let me know how you get on .

• Posted

The shots were very painful. Took about 3 days to start working. I've had relief in one foot for months. The other foot only improved for 3 weeks. It didn't require staying off my feet right after the shots.

• Posted

Pain is definitely relative to the person. I had shots in both feet. It was mildly discomfort. My left completely healed with constant stretching. The right was pain free for 6 weeks and the pain exploded. Doc wouldn't do another shot because there were so many tears. I ended up having surgery. Six months later most of the time, no pain in either foot.

When I do have pain, it's because i don't remain consistent with my stretching.

So, the key after the injection is STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH

• Posted

Hello.

I've had several shots and always got some relief. Do not see a regular podiatrist. You need to see an orthopedic foot surgeon. I'm 3 months post OP now for plantar fasciitis surgery and calf muscle release. Fought it for 5 years to no avail. Still some pain if I'm on it all day. Good quality shoes are a must and wear them in the house. Throw your flip flops away. Buy some lidocaine cream for your calf and foot you'll get some relief. Im glad I had the surgery and happy with the outcome. Good luck

• Posted

i stayed off my foot for 2 days but really took a week to heal. ive had the shot 4 times im a chronic case bc of my job requires lots of walking and standing give your body time to heal, the shot wont work if you dont stop moving for few days

• Posted

I wanted to tell you as well that my dr wouldn't give me anymore than 3 shots in my foot. Her golden rule because of tissue damage. Stretch and ice as well will help. Im not advocating surgery for you but it did work for me.

• Posted

I wanted to tell you as well that my dr wouldn't give me anymore than 3 shots in my foot. Her golden rule because of tissue damage. Stretch and ice as well will help. Im not advocating surgery for you but it did work for me.

• Posted

I had one today and it hurt like crazy!! they did not advise me to take it easy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.