Costochondritis Symptoms

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the long message....

Just looking for some help.....I am a 33 year old female and I started having pains in my bottom right rib going into my back at the end of December. (I have had this on and off for 3 years. It normally stays for a few weeks and then goes away for 6+ months before coming back) This time it wasn't going anywhere so I went to GP where i had blood tests, chest xray, ultrasound of gallbladder, liver, kidneys, pancreas and spleen. All came back clear. During all the testing the pain began to move and get worse....It moved to my left side. Main areas of pain are bottom left rib, going around to my back. It can feel like a tightness or a pulled muscle. I cant lie on it at night because it is very painful. i do get other small pains in my upper chest, shoulder blades and sometimes my jaw. Some of the ribs on my left back are very sore to press and one rib at the front left close to sternum is very sore to press. Sometimes when i breath in deeply or move a certain way my ribs and/or sternum cracks or pops. the last visit to the doctor she diagnosed Costochondritis and told me to go to physio. I have a 2 sessions and I think it is making it worse. This has been going on for 5 months now and it is making me incredibly anxious! Which is probably making it worse!

Can I ask if anyone also feels the pain in their stomach? Not sure if it is a radiating pain or if you find after eating (especially a large meal) that your pain gets worse?

Can I ask anyone who has experienced this what has helped you? I have 4 kids, used to run and gym 4 times a week and now i can do nothing for fear of making it worse! I have recently started taking fish oils and Turmeric? No difference yet but it's only been a week.

I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thanks so much in advance!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.