Cough and breathlessness in hypothyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I feel breathless or more accurately have a sensation of not being able to get my breath properly. I find this very depressing as it all makes me feel afraid.

I have just been diagnosed with multinodular goitre as this was an incidental finding on a CTPA scan report nothing has yet been done by way of blood tests .

However having written that some bloods were taken but by a different speciality. I am awaiting the results. I am also awaiting an appt to see endo surgeon and endo physician. Today is a bad day due to subjective sensation of sob. Also have some neck and shoulder pain and slight irritating cough which comes and goes. Jean x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean

You seem to be struggling today. I don't know but it sounds like you may have anxiety and that is probably why you feel fearful and feel beathless. Your blood tests will be back soon and your appointment with endo surgeon will I'm sure put your mind at rest. The symptoms you are experiencing are magnified as you don't know what to expect and all sorts of thoughts are going through your mind. I know it's easy for me to say this, but try make the best of this lovely day. I'm sending you healing thoughts as I write this. xx

• Posted

Thanks Pat

the physical signs and symptoms cause this deep anxiety because I have never experienced anything like this until December 2013. I think you are right in saying that I am anxious due to uncertainty etc. I am also fearful of not being taken seriiously by drs. However the CTPa scan shows multinodular goitre.

I just hope that I do not have thyroid cancer.

I feel angry at drs for messing about for at least ten years.

Thyroid problems run in the family but I did not know that there were so may signs and symptoms most of what I have.

Thanks for your reassurance it does help.

Jean x

• Posted

Sorry Pat forgot to metion the nurse practitioner in endo who I have not yet met said on the phone that the goitre may be pressing on the trachea causing breathing and swallowing problems.

I  have to avoid foodstuffs that crumble easily such as some types of biscuits for example. 

• Posted

Jean I didn't know that your fear is that it may be cancer of the thyroid. No wonder you are feeling the way you do. I also didn't realise that the goiter could be pressing on the tracheae it must be a very strange sensation and I'm sure would make you panic. Sorry it has taken doctors so long to get to where you are with diagnosis etc. Hope they get back to you soon with appointment. Pat x
    • Posted

I personally don't handle 'not knowing' very well. To minimise the anxiety this causes I direct it into actions. So in your situation I would need to shorten the period of 'not knowing' as much as possible. This would entail me ringing the encrinologist's secretary at the hospital to enquire when the appointment was likely to be or whether they had a cancellation. x
    • Posted

Good idea . Will do. Glad someone else reacts like me if you see what I mean.

Jeanx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.