could be ulcer?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Just wanted to post my experience on here and see if anyone can give me any advice....

About a month ago I woke up in the night with stomach ache which kept me awake for a while, didn't think too much of it, felt uncomfortable the next day but thought it would just be a dodgy stomach and go off, however woke up for the next 2 nights boiling hot and couldn't get back to sleep. Hard to explain the pain not excruiating more uncomfortable and crampy.

Went to the dr's who basically said I was anxious (i dont like the drs) and probably in my head. Examined me to say my stomach was churning but said could be IBS, could be allergic to something, could be start of an infection but he wasn't worried and basically just said get on with it. Finally had a better night sleep on the 5th night and although it took a while to feel completely normal by about wednesday the next week I felt ok. Felt fine for the next 2 weeks, then on Sunday night (exactly 4 weeks after the first episode) I was woken in the night again and over the last few days have had the same symtoms, stomach pains, churning and not sleeping!!! Slept a bit better last night so hoping it's not staying as long apart from waking once feeling bubbling in stomach.

It has just worried me how it has come back, also how it wakes me in the night makes me not think its IBS as heard it shouldn't wake you up... other symptoms i've had are sometimes feeling constiapted like I want to go to the toilet or pass wind but cant, lower back pain, some diorehha but not really. This time round my bowl movements seem pretty much normal and today I have more of a burning kind of feel in my stomach rather than lower!

just so confused by all this and worrying I may have an ulcer or an infection? but feel that dr's don't really want to know!! If anyone could give me any advice on what they think of my symptoms I'd really appreciate it, thanks! x

[i:ebb5249672][b:ebb5249672][color=green:ebb5249672][size=9:ebb5249672]Help Patient UK by not crossposting[/size:ebb5249672][/color:ebb5249672][/b:ebb5249672][/i:ebb5249672]

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

The 'usual suspect' for causing such symptoms is a [b:6f860bc7f4]Helicobacter Pylori[/b:6f860bc7f4] infection smile
  • Posted

thanks for your advice, do you think I should go back to the dr's for furhter investigation or just see if it goes again like last time?
  • Posted

have booked a dr's appointment for tuesday if it doesn't go!

now have a white coating on my tongue!! whats going on!?

• Posted

Unless it's treated H.p can hang around forever, often you won't know it's there but from time to time it may flare up a little causing discomfort - you definitely don't want it to flare up alot because it's terrible :D Both H.p and Thrush are opportunistic infections, they strike when your immune system is run down. Yeah see your GP and get whatever these pesky bugs are cleared out smile
  • Posted

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate some advice!!

Yeah it is not agonising pain just really uncomfortable sometimes and not getting full nights sleep does me no good!! :roll:

Im just hoping the dr will test me for HP and not try and send me away with IBS again! I have been stressed recently but I'm just not convinced it's IBS!

My dad has recently been treated for HP a couple of months ago, could that make me more likely to have it??

Thanks x

• Posted

Virtually everyone has it :D they're all bug laden carriers :roll: :lol: But seriously. You could have caught it then or you could have had it for years, in normal quantities it's mostly harmless but if you are sensitive just a small increase can cause problems. Paracetamol can help with any niggly pain (I recommend soluable ones. If the normal strength ones don't hit the mark get the ones with added Codeine (Solpadeine max)), avoid Diclofenac, Ibuprofen (even the rub on gels) and Aspirin. IBS medicines can help aswell smile
  • Posted

[quote:6ed70b3619=\"cherry22 \"]have booked a dr's appointment for tuesday if it doesn't go!

now have a white coating on my tongue!! whats going on!?[/quote:6ed70b3619]

[quote:6ed70b3619] Just read your post. Have you looked up gallbladder/gallstones ? The reason I ask is because I suffered with similar symptoms and had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago.[/quote:6ed70b3619]

• Posted

True, one or the other or both and or something else completely. Yes it could be sludge and or stones rattling about in there. That's another one that can put you in hospital if you are not careful :D
  • Posted

Thanks, I've had a look at gallstones/gallbladder stuff... doesn't sound like it too much as I haven't really had pain in my upper abdominen just more of a burning/hungry - making me burp kind of feeling! Pain I've had hasnt ever been terrible like not as bad as period pain for example!

I slept completely through last night (fri) and have felt fine today so far where as felt bad after my lunch yesterday, sometimes makes me think its what im eating, somtimes not....very confusing!! It may just go off this week but then I dont want it to come back next month!!

• Posted

Thought I would give you an update.... after a few days of feeling better in the day but continuous waking up in the night with cramping went to the docs tonight, his conclusion was still ibs mainly but thinks i have acid reflux as well from the burning and bad taste in mouth tongue etc. He prescribed me with a month of lansoprazole (which ive seen has bad side effects so hope I don't suffer with any of them!?) and also buscopan for the lower cramps...

He didn't seem to want to test me for anything at this stage so I guess I will have to watch this space! He said to go back if Im still suffering in a months time. I have some time off this week so am going to stay with my parents (i am 24/f living the stressful london life!) and hoping this will help!!

Thanks for your help. x

• Posted

The Lanso should help take the sting out of it, see how it goes smile
  • Posted

Thought I would fill you in/ask for more advice (no idea if I’m in the right topic area anymore!)

Have been taking the prescribed meds and spent 5 days off work, have started to sleep better and not waking up with cramps. My stomach isn’t burning anymore (starting to think this was actually just from not eating properly) the burping has stopped but I still have a bit of a coating to my tongue, a general horrible feeling in my mouth. Not sure I should be taking the Lanzo but I still am. Have had a dodgy stomach a couple of days and general uncomfortable pain in my lower stomach but not the cramping that was waking me up before. I have been taking the buscopan before I go to sleep.

Anyway, still confused with what I have I definitely don’t feel right and it’s starting to get me down not feeling like myself for so long! The other strange thing is that my flatmate (who I went on holiday with a week before I first got this) is having similar symptoms too – (i had it, then she had it, then we both felt better, now we’ve both got it back and it’s persisting!) She has been to docs – first time he said she had a urine infection but then she felt worse from the antibiotics so went back, he has now taken a stool and blood test. (We are seeing the same doctor) I think I will wait for her results and then go back myself?

I have gone through thinking mine could also be a gyno problem but it seems a coincidence me and my flatmate are both suffering at the same time!!

Thanks again for listening it’s nice to have advice off someone!

• Posted

Maybe a selection of (different branded) [b:2867c96ebe]probiotic[/b:2867c96ebe] drinks, yogurts and supplements will help restore your natural balance, don't just eat and drink loads of them and hope, take them in accordance with any guidance and give it time (a few weeks) to work smile
  • Posted

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having similar symptoms
  • Posted

I have "mild" Crohn's disease, and the pain for that (in my case) is low mid abdominal ache with visible issues in stool.  I also am currently being treated for an ulcer (we think).  Symptoms for that were originally rolling gas pains, bloating, sharp stabbing abdominal pains that wake me up at night.  Acid coming up the esophogus. Burning sensation laterally under the rib cage.  And a middle upper abdominal pain that didn't hurt when I pressed it, but it was there (referred from ulcer?).  I'm taking proton pump inhibitors as treatment.  Seems it takes six weeks or so for an ulcer to heal, my Dr. Called me for follow up in six weeks.  I hope you get another doctor who listens to you and believes you and doesn't say it is in your head.  
    • Posted

For almost three months I have been nauseous, upset stomach, dull pain on my upper stomach and sometimes almost like burning. Loss of apetite specially in the mornings, and I've lost a lot of weight. Does anyone know what it could be? My gastro. Thinks my stomach may be producing too much acid due to stress. He did some blood work and gave me proton pump inhibitor med. For a month and said if I still don't feel good in a month hell perform an endoscopy. Anyone ever gone through this?
    • Posted

I have these exact symptoms just now. What were your results in the end?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.