Could I have Sjogren's, worried

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 30 year old Male, and for about 8 years I have been having progressing symptoms, I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. It all started when friend of mine pushed me into a bush and part of a branch went into my arm, it went deep and it was not a small piece, about an inch and a half to 2 inches with a thickness of about 6mm, my friend pulled it out but there were still pieces left inside, after about a week it became infected, I had a fever with severe fatigue, I went to the docs and was perscibed antibiotics, but every time they would only make me feel better for about a week but the symptoms would return, after 2 wweks i was still pulling bits out of my arm, the doc was convinced there was nothing else in there because it was closed up, anyway I soldierd on for 6 months still feeling terrible, no fever by this time, but then I started getting pains in my joints, knees, shoulders, ankles. I looked again at my wound it was still closed, but I stabbed it with a needle and puss came out, I went through the process of minor surgery and my doc removed it.

Since then I have had dry lips all the time, after about 7 months I started getting salivary gland stones but with not a lot of pain, also my right submandibular is swollen all the time but with no pain, from time to time my armpit glands, groin glands become tender, maybe once evry 1- 3 months, the only thing I don't have is the dry eyes, my mouth is so dry at night and has been for about a year and a half now, I wake up several times a night, I also have developed Peripheral neuropathy I think, I have tingling in feet sometimes, but worse is my arms I wake up at night with my little finger and the 2 next to it without being able to move them and I can not feel them, I get the same feeling in both hands if I am laying in bed awake and I am holding my smart phone and my elbows are by both sides of me rested on the bed. Any help or advice is welcome. Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh, I forgot to add, brain fog  and lately another gland is starting to swell on the left i think it is the left submandib, and swollowing is hard along with dry lips all the time, horse voice recently to, and allways clearing my throat.
  • Posted

Terry, some of your symptoms could point to SS, but they could also point to other auto-immune or post-viral issues, so need a full work up, probably by a rheumatologust. I have had SS for 31 years now and in my experience the parotid glad swellings are extremely painful. I would recommend that you investigate further, as whatever the condition is it is affecting your health and needs to be treated.
  • Posted

Hi Terry

I m with Jennifer, you need to be seen & evaluated. In the meantime, there are things you can do about the dry mouth: change to a drymouth toothpaste and dry mouth rinse (which leaves moisturizers in your mouth), drink lots of water throughout the day, and get a moisturizing spray or gel to keep by your bed for use during the night. This is important because dry mouth promotes tooth decay.

As to your numb fingers while lying on the bed working your phone, it sounds like you lie on your stomach and prop your upper body with elbows on bed? This is a near perfect position for causing stress on nerves which serve those fingers, coming from the spine. If you also sleep on your stomach, that may be the reason you awake with those issues. Of course it could be something else, but I'd try changing positions.

I hope things get much better for you soon.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your replys, I have just had some results back from a blood test, and my vitamin D levels are low, I read that this can be part of an auto immune disease, my doctor said it is probably because the winter has just been, I explained to him I take multi vit and min everyday that has vit D in it, he said it may not be enough, over the years these symptoms have been progressing i have had many vitamin tests in the winter and summer but vitamin d has always been fine, I am thinking that as an auto immune disease progresses then maybe more vit D is required?. Please let me know you thought.

P.S over ths years I have had loads of tests for all sorts of things relating to this one illness that the docs have basically diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome but i know it is more than that.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your replys, I have just had some results back from a blood test, and my vitamin D levels are low, I read that this can be part of an auto immune disease, my doctor said it is probably because the winter has just been, I explained to him I take multi vit and min everyday that has vit D in it, he said it may not be enough, over the years these symptoms have been progressing i have had many vitamin tests in the winter and summer but vitamin d has always been fine, I am thinking that as an auto immune disease progresses then maybe more vit D is required?. Please let me know you thought.

P.S over ths years I have had loads of tests for all sorts of things relating to this one illness that the docs have basically diagnosed as chronic fatigue syndrome but i know it is more than that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.