Could "spontaneous" bruising be related to ankylosing spondyltis or its treatement?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been taking prednisone for the last week for an episode of AS.

I see improvement, but we'll see once I stop with the meds .

This evening, all of a sudden, I felt pain in my left hip while I was sitting. The pain was somehow "raw" and I knew that there would be a bruise even though I hadn't hurt myself. And there it was. Small in diameter, but deep.

Could this be related to AS or prednisone?

Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I do not think so,,,probably a muscle strain or pulled muscle.

I have also been in predizone for 4 days. the change in weather sets off the achy, tired symptoms.

• Posted

Thank you!

When I have an "episode" of AS I cannot do much. On the bright side, I cannot strain a muscle 😉 But who knows, maybe with prednisone even walking and sitting are enough to do it.

• Posted

hi there prednisone could be why you have bruise as for the effects it is possible if your not taking any other meds to control or help your a.s you could find any pain comes back and joints start to stiffen

• Posted

Thank you very much!

I was ^prescribed some meds for the pain (paracetamol and acupan), but nothing else for inflammation apart from prednisone. Last time it did the trick and after a while, with the right diet and exercise I felt normal. I did have from time to time some pain, but no more than AS-free people.

• Posted

Hi. I've had AS for 50 years and have never been offered prednisone to control It. I have, however, been on prednisone for over a year now In an attempt to control

polymyalgia rheumatica and my arms and parts of my legs are basically "black and blue " from bruising , attributed according to my physician, to taking prednisone resulting in bruising from the slightest bump . Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply!

I'll be stopping prednisone in 5 days. This is my second "episode" and both times the doctors put me on prednisone,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.