Could these problems be caused by amlodipine?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all, I am new to this forum , and I hope some of you can help.

My husband, aged 76 has normally been fit and well , apart from minor aches and pains which we put down to "old age", but recently developed high blood pressure and has been taking amlodipine for 6 months for this. At first things seemed OK but for the last 6 weeks he has been experiencing problems which he is convinced are caused by this drug. It started with tingling pains in both ankles, then muscle aches in both calves, spreading to thighs and buttocks. Then came pain in his hips. More severe after a period of inactivity. Once he can get himself going in the morning he can walk OK. Along with these symptoms, he is not sleeping due to severe heat throughout his body at night, he says he feels like his skin is on fire but when he has taken his temperature it is 36.8 so normal. He is extremely fatigued and very depressed.

Due to covid restrictions, he has been unable to see his doctor face to face, but had a telephone appointment over a week ago. The doctor did not seem to think these symptoms were due to Amlodipine. He has had extensive blood tests, most of which have come back normal but he is still waiting for a few results to come back which could take another couple of weeks.

He is convinced these symptoms are due to this medication, and after reading posts on this forum I am inclined to agree with him.

It is heartbreaking to see him in pain and so depressed like this.

Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.