Creatinine Level In Patient With Diabetes T1

Posted , 2 users are following.

To Anyone who can help or offer any advice concerning my 93 (strong constitution doesn't match her chronological age) year young mother who is 50% British and 50% Scottish ethnicity, but was born and raised in the U.S. She had the misfortune of being diagnosed with late adult onset diabetes T1 when she was 58, at times it's been an arduous path, but she is one tough cookie. Of late she developed what physicians termed cellulitis of the left lower calf. My sister took her to the doctor and from what I've learned, prescribed Bactrim. I wasn't aware at the time, but have now been advised by my sister that this drug is contraindicated in a patient with diabetes and CKD. I cannot believe the doctor nor pharmacist allowed this prescription to be filled, and consequently she (Mother) developed (in short order)severe nausea and resultant dry heaves and was unable to sleep for 2 days. That would be hard on anyone, and she is 93 years old, she was taken to the local hospital by ambulance where she was admitted.

She made it known right from the start that she was not interested in dialysis, she saw what it did to her older sister (at 78 the sister developed sepsis as a result of a bag of contaminated erythropoiten solution) who had untreated hypertension induced CKD. That sister was put on a ventilator (but she had a smoking history of 35-40 years) and she never came off of it, and she expired 4 months later. My mother, on the other hand has never smoked and didn't develop hypertension until she was nearly 75, but her diabetes went through periods of high and hypoglycemic lows. So as not to digress from the present issue at hand, currently she is still in hospital and she underwent a ureteral stent placement, because the treating physician had ordered different imaging studies and determined that the left ureter was blocked quite a bit, and felt that might be driving up the creatinine level, which is currently holding at 5.8. On admission before the stent placement the level was 6.2, so it has come down, but it's nothing to write home about. She has never been one to consume much water, and while she was being kept well hydrated on i.v,, I have recently learned that that i.v has been removed, but she still has a pic line. Our family is quite concerned as to how we're going to make sure she stays hydrated once she is discharged. According to the physician in charge one of the imaging studies revealed what appears to be a shadow/mass in the pancreas, but without a biopsy, how can one be sure it is in fact a carcinoma. We've been told that due to her weakened state (with little to no sleep and slightly depressed nutritional status) she is not a candidate for further treatment at this time. The only option the doctor recommended is to be discharged home on hospice. My nephew believes the cancerdiagnosis was given so she will qualify for that type of care without having to go through additional testing. He may be correct in that assumption.

My mother wanted to go home on hospice before the stent was ever placed, I can't, for the life of me understand why she was put through a stent procedure when they were aware of the imaging results days before that procedure. The one blessing is she came through the general anesthesia with no cognition deficit. I have read on another site that in the Arabic countries , according to one poster, there is very little need for dialysis, because they rely on turmeric and radish. Has anyone ever heard of this remedy? We are desperate for any suggestions at this point.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.