Crippling pain in right thigh

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I have suffered spinal stenosis with spondylosis and myolepathy for 5 years now.

I am 66 and suffered a fall in 2011.

All the usual things associated with these problems I have had.

Now, can anyone confirm for me as to terrible debilitating pain in my right hip.

It came on about 4 weeks ago, just below the hip joint. I wake in pain and go to sleep in pain.

If I lye down the pain eventually settles down. But as soon as I stand up I can hardly walk.

I am on meds for my c/s etc : Gabapentin, Naproxen, Amatryptaline and morphine patch, none of which stop the pain, mind you I hate to think what pain I would be in without these meds.

Any help appreciated,

Mike.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi mike looks like your on the correct medication for neuropathic pain I have cervical spondylitis myelopathy too and a year ago I had surgery anterior Cervical disectomy and fusion c4/c7 check out myelopathy.org for loads of information regarding myelopathy also there is a Facebook group too myelopathy.support hope this is helpful for you

• Posted

Hi Iwan,

Thanks, I looked on the link you left, interesting reading.

The thing is I experienced leg weakness and balance problems for about 4 years, but this pain in the hip is new and worrying.

I was offered , and accepted surgery but it was cancelled on three separate occasions over 2 years. Was told last year that it could now make things worse instead of better.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi mike

Myelopathy can can cause a lot of neurological symptoms my muscle spasms cause most of my problems I take a muscle relaxant called baclofen I must say it does help saying that you have got to find the correct medication that works for you it's a bit of trial and error

• Posted

Hi,

There is no bone on bone contact, no grinding or clicking,

just a pain in my outer right hip.

Woke up with it this morning so has not healed or eased overnight.

Read yesterday on USA site, a doctor has c/s and also has same pain in hip trouble.

He has ruled out all usual causes and concluded that as the pain eases depending on his neck positioning, then his cervical spondylosis must be the cause.

Mike.

• Posted

I have severe hip pain but it is because they took out part of my bone in my hip to put in my neck. It still hurts and I can't lie on that side to sleep! Kind of barbaric if you think about it! 

• Posted

I too donated bone from my lliac crest to my wrist. It is surprisingly painful because the muscle has to be detached from the bone. The pain does completely stop.
    • Posted

It has been over 16 years and it still hurts! I wish I had used donor bone. Glad I did not use the fake bone as there are huge class action law suits from poor outcomes due to that product. If anyone on here used that product just google it and you may be part of a huge settlement depending on your outcomes of the surgery or lack of! 
    • Posted

I am interested in your donor site...in my case they removed the a piece right on the iliac crest...the hip bone that protrudes in front.

It shouldn't hurt 16 years later, perhaps you should have it checked out.

• Posted

I did not use a donor they took it from my hip and it still hurts. I have known people who have used donor (cadaver) bone with great results. It was so hard to walk after the surgery because of the pain in my leg. Like I said 15 years later and it still hurts! 
  • Posted

We all joined that cervical myelopathy support group everyone is talking about it is amazing thanks for the link they have over a thousand members and its full of amazing info so glad I joined this forum thank you everyone smile 

• Posted

About four years ago, I started with an awful aching pain in my left hip that would travel down into my thigh.  It sometimes felt as if my thigh bone was going to snap in half.   My OLD primary care said it was osteoarthritis and to take NSAIDS for it.  Of course, I did to no avail for two more years. It definitely curtailed my activity, but figured I would have to live with it since it was arthritis.  Then, two years ago I was diagnosed with lumbar spondylolisthesis and spinal stenosis at L4/L5 and L5/S1.  I finally I ended up at a pain management clinic for an epidural steroid injection at L4/L5.  As part of my intake, I told him about the hip/thigh pain that had been diagnosed as arthritis, but it was secondary to the issue I was really there for.  After the injection I experienced profound relief from the sciatica and, suprisingly, total relief of the hip/thigh pain.  The doctor explained that he felt the hip pain was a symptom of the spinal stenosis so he injected the steroid more to the left within the epidural space.  I'm so glad he went with his hunch!!  Two years later and I haven't had that particular pain again.  I hope you're under the care of a pain management clinic.  GPs and even orthopedists do NOT understand pain management fully.  It's just not their speciality.  Talk to your doctor about the possibility of an epidural steroid injection.  It might be right for you.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

My GP felt that my pain could be sciatica. I was instructed to up my Gabapentin from 600mgs three times a day, to 900 mgs three times a day. I was also to increase my Amatryptaline from 1-2 per night to 4-5 per night.

This was on top of Naproxen 500mgs twice a day and morphine pain patch 10 microns 24/7.

After the third night things settled down and Iam now able to get more sleep and walk more than 3 steps without crippling pain.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.