Crippling Period Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everybody! To be honest i'm using this website as a last resort to plead for answers to my ongoing health problem. 

For the past 6 years I have suffered from severe period pain. It lasts usually for around a week and has become debilitating. I cannot move as from my waist to my knees is numb, stabbing stomach cramps keep me standing straight, and when I do manage to stand up I either faint or vomit. On top of this I have a complete loss of appetite and my skin breaks out in spots. Not only does this happen during my period but I get this whilst spotting (this month I have been spotting for two weeks). I am on the contraceptive pill cilest but have changed contraception various times to try and help with the pain. I am currently being prescribed tramadol for the pain and have recently been started on a course of neurontin (gabapentin), none of which help with the pain. 

After many clear internal and external ultrasounds I was referred for a laparoscopy for what was suspected endometriosis. This also came back normal and I was immediately dismissed by the doctors being told that "my case was not being investigated any further". Three months down the line and several doctors appointments later my symptoms have worsened and I am in constant pain. I was told by my doctor that I was just one of the unlucky people who get bad cramps and that "doctors aren't magicians, we can't magically find a solution to your problem". 

I am begging anyone who has experienced similar symptoms or who have been diagnosed with anything similar to help me with a solution. I am embarrassed to return to the doctors with an issue that they refuse to help me with but cannot miss work/ university/ faint whilst on my own, once more.

Any advice anyone has is much appreciated. Thanks!  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are suffering so much.

When I was younger I too suffered  but not as bad, and my daughter has too with the leg pains.

I found that if I could keep my bowel movements regular it wasnt quite as bad, constipation would make the pains worse. Maybe try gentle stomach massage in small circular movements.

Try to eat a healthy diet and lots of water especially around your period.

It's difficult while you are young and just want to enjoy getting on with your life but it does get better as you get older and after having children.

Best wishes to you 

• Posted

Hi,

I have similar symptoms to you, the vomiting/ fainting/ extreme cramps. I do not get the numbness or spot breakouts though. But instead have extreme fluctuating body temperature and unpradictable bouts of exhaustion. For the past 10 years I have been taking a capsules called 'Ponstan', in my countryyou can get them over the counter in small amounts or get a pescription for a larger amount. You can try this if you want but I cant garantee it will work for you, it works wonders for me but took about 3 months to take effect and I still get random days where the only thing I can do is lie in bed. Another really simple trick I do is get my spouse to sit next to the bed and breath, and I focus on matching my breathing with theirs, after about half an hour it starts to relieve the pain. Hopefully one of these will help you smile Here is a link about ponstan so you know exactley what you are trying. https://patient.info/medicine/mefenamic-acid-for-pain-and-inflammation-ponstan

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

• Posted

Also I am Vegan which has helped reduce the heaviness of my periods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.