Ct diagnosed liver cancer and biopsy

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi

my dad was feeling unwell for a about 8 weeks. he went into hospital and had a CT scan on Tuesday. he was told it was liver cancer. they are doing a biopsy tomorrow. they are talking about aggressive chemo

maybe I'm in denial but can they tell that much from a CT scan how bad it is. would they not need the results from the biopsy to really inform them how bad or good it is..

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sorry you dad is not well. My mum was diagnosed with cancer last year. Just wanted to mention that some scans involve the use of a marker that concentrates in a tumor. Tumor sites appear on the scan like a highlight. The biopsy is done to check if the tumor is benign or malignant.

The other factor is experience. The clinicians treating your father have likely analyzed hundreds of scans. What is happening now is called cancer staging. The doctors are trying to determine if the tumor is malignant and if it has spread. Following that, the doctors will surely discuss their findings and treatment options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.