Cumulative effects of over doing it?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all

I'm interested to know how others perceive the triggers of a bad relapse? Do you find relapses come on suddenly without a particular trigger or can you always identify a trigger? Or do they happen after a prolonged better spell during which time you do much which then seems to have an accumulative effect in bringing on a relapse?

I've been trying to figure out my trigger factors for years and can't seem to suss it.

After being bed bound for a year then house bound for another year I finally got into a position where I could work part time and enjoy the odd social event and holiday albeit with a constant reminder of symptoms and fatigue. I was immensely grateful though for this period of relative respite. This carried on for nearly four years with the odd couple of bed bound weeks here and there. Now I'm in the midst of a long bed bound relapse again and wish I knew why.... Was I cumulatively over doing it all this time or was it the shingles I had? If I hadn't had shingles would I be ok now? I guess I'll never know but I'm very interested to hear how others manage their activities during prolonged good spells and whether they think a good spell always precipitates a bad one? This is the second time in the 10 years I've had ME that I've had this roller coaster big up and big down.

Thanks everyone I'm really finding this forum helpful, it was lonely before I found folk who I could relate to :-)

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If I had to guess I would say that the shingles caused the relapse. It will have put a big strain on your immune system etc and this could easily have triggered the ME. (It's as if the ME gets jealous and says. Hah! You think you can cause trouble - just watch what I can do!) seriously though, sometimes it's impossible to avoid a relapse - it's not our fault, it's just that we've got ME. You must be managing the condition very well if you experience long periods of remission. 
  • Posted

My last relapse, 2 years ago, was caused by me taking a trip. I'd taken this same trip the previous 3 years with no ill effect. I'm still suffering the effects of this relapse, and have been housebound ever since. I notice you mention that you could work parttime, although with "a constant reminder of symptoms and fatigue." If you were indeed pushing through fatigue, this could have caused a relapse. You could have been operating outside of your energy envelope.
  • Posted

Anything that causes extra strain on your immune system, including psychological stress, can cause a crash.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have had M.E. for a very long time.  Early on I was much more aware of how a relapse was triggered but they were, with hindsight, very short ones.

During the past 10 years I have no idea what has caused some really dire turns for the worst.  Somethimes just a non-descrip bug caused the worst relapses...a bug I should have gotten over easily even with M.E. started it...

Maybe it's different for most.

But you describe some real extremes but it offers hope for me as you describe being bed bound to being able to work part time - awesome!

If you were able to be at this level before I don't see why it won't happen again.  I am hoping to get back to a time when I could do much more... though not sure how this is going to happen!

will be interesting to see other's answers!

Hope you're having a better like day

• Posted

Thank you for asking this question.  I'm probably not going to be of much help to you, but I wanted you to know that your question was a help to me in letting me know that I was not alone.  I just had a relapse of the really bad symptoms--and I've been so upset about it.  Your message caused me to cry, but like I said helped me to know that I'm not alone.
  • Posted

Hi there,

For me I know if I'm on the phone talking for about 5 minutes, my glands feel swollen. That's it for me. Also too much loud noise, is a trigger for me.

2 tasks or appointments in one day, triggers for me.

I do hope you feel better. Soon.

Gized

• Posted

I would say that the shingles has definitely done it, I know healthy, non ME/CFS people who have been laid low by the shingles for up to 6 months...

Combine that with ME/CFS and you have a relapse.

My ME/CFS is triggered daily by sensitivities to foods (easy to control) and airbourne particles or smells (not so easy) but I do know for the most part what is triggering me...

But if I get a virus; It all gets much, much worse; I become very ME/CFS like... i.e. all the classic symtoms and much, much more sensitive to things around me, even things that I had previously been OK with.  And that's with a common cold or flu virus, let alone shingles.

Take care of yourself and good luck on your journey with this very difficult illness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.