Curious alcohol withdrawal strange symptom?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I've been a heavy drinker for quite some time.

I have tried to quit but never made it beyond a month, once.

I am detoxing again now for another attempt to quit once and for all.  

I notice a strange feeling whenever I am detoxing.  I get this sensation that the skin over my whole body hurts   Hurts like I have a whole-body bruise wink  I'm toleration it, but wonder if any other members here experience the same thing?

Other withdrawal symptoms I don't see much talked about... do any of you suffer these too?

- Difficulty with fine-motor skills, like using a sppon to eat cereal is complicated from the shakes and messed up motor coordination abilities.  I even find I'm having to concentrte when I am walking as my legs seem to not always step the way I want them to smile

Anyway, nice to be here! smile  Struggling on day 2.5 of detox.  I am on high lode-dose diazapam from my doctor who is scared my sudden quitting might cause me a seizure.  But so far so good!!!

steve, canada

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That pain sounds very much like peripheral neuropathy, Steve, which is likely to be the result of Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency. Excessive alcohol consumption causes this deficiency and, as well as the symptoms you are experiencing now, the long term effect can be alcohol-related dementia. You should get some Thiamine (from your doctor, or you can buy it over the pharmacy counter - 100mg tablets, take 1 twice a day), if the doctor hasn't already given it. If you ARE already taking it, it will start to have an effect within a couple of days.

The diazepam is likely to be affecting your walking as well as withdrawal symptoms, that should pass. However, do not hesitate to contact your doctor if anything is still concerning you.

Sometimes, doctors give powerful injectable vitamins at the start of a detox so, if the skin pain is severe, it is worth seeing the doctor rather than relying on the oral Thiamine, initially, as it would have a much bigger and more rapid effect.

• Posted

Paul, is there a big difference in thiamine and Benfotiamine?  I was trying to find info because I too need to get on thiamine but I have benfotiamine at home.  No sense in purchasing the thiamine if I can use what I already have.  I'm on 8 days sober and feel "some" of the symptoms that steverz is.  Just not as severe. 
    • Posted

There is a lot of debate around this Kelly. Essentially, they do the same thing. Benfotiamine is synthetic and it is clained that it is more effective at increasing the thiamine level for various reasons which I won't try to go into. If you google 'benfotiamine v thiamine' you will find a lot more than I could explain smile
    • Posted

Thanks so much Paul for your reply!

Yeah I take high potency B1(Thiamine) - 1,500mcg a day.  As well as a B12, and a B100-Complex every day.  Doctors have warned me that without it (90% of alcoholics they said, have either NO B1/B12 in their bodies, or barely any) -- which can quickly lead to Weneke-Korsakoff syndrome ('alcohol dementia').... Doc has me on the diazepam for the next two weeks to reduce the risk of WK and DT.  Drinking loads of electrolytes as well (Gatorade with the potassium in it)...  Gonna see if the skin pain disappears in a few days.... 

Thanks so much again Paul!!!

• Posted

Ok, you should start to see the benefit of the thiamine over the next few days. Good luck with the detox smile
  • Posted

keep going....we feel all kinds of "different" things when we stop alcohol...in 2 weeks time...you may start feeling as good as new.

I wish you the best and don't give up....it gets better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.