Cushing syndrome after long antibiotic usage?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a surgery 4 years ago (minor) and was infected wih Klebsiella Pneumoniae in the hospital. I was terated with different type of antibiotics over 2 month to get rid of it. I was not the same person after this. I had burnng stomach, high blood pressure, gainig weight, fat in legs and face, sudden Barret, etc. I was completely health  person prior the surgery. I was going from doctor to doctor trying to understand what happened to me. Few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Cushing syndrome. I wonder if anybody had the same experience as me - Cushing decase after few years of severe infection treaten by long period by antibiotics.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just to say well done you.  I have been trying to find a common denominator for those who get Cushings but no luck so far.  I will try to think back and I hope the other members will answer you too.  At least now you know what is wrong.  Take care and I will respond again soon.  Any thoughts Debs or Gill?
  • Posted

Hi,  I see that Gill has replied to you.  I have been checking up and I was on Antibotics (Septrin) for years because my then GP thought I had a kidney problem.  Eventuall my new GP gave me a kidney xray and it turned out I had spinal problems so came of the antibiotics straight away. I understand that Gill hasnt had the same experience.  I did have a tumour on the Pit Gland but to be quite honest it is such a horrible disease that I wouldnt be at all surprised if the antibiotics had something to do with it.  Im not sure if Septrin contained steroids.  Did yours?  Thanks so much for your input.  Vicky
    • Posted

Hi Vicky, I was taking different groups of antibiotics, since I was infected with virus resistant to antibiotics - Klebsiela. I will check with my doctor regarding streroids. I found so many articles regarding fungal infections evolving in Cushing patients in US National Library medical articles. I was wondering if the Candida comes after antibiotics treatment and evolves in Cushing. There are few cases describing this too. So the reason I asked about antibiotics was further Candida and further Cushing. I am not claiming that this is the only reason. But according to researches not everybody who goes through surgery has tumor found.
  • Posted

Hi Irene,

I honestly dont think the medical World knows exactly what causes cushings. The main reason being is that everyone who is diagnosed has a slightly different story to tell. I hadnt even thought about antibiotics as a " possible ". I had Micoplasma Pneumonia and was on triple antibiotics for about 10 weeks. I also had Helicobactor Pylori which required triple antibiotics. There was no steroids in my treatment so i cant see how that would have caused my Cushings.

I differ slightly from the other girls here in that i didnt have a specified tumor on my pituitary gland. I had Diffuse over abundance and hyperplasia of the ACTH cells in my pituitary gland. This resulted in the surgeon having to remove all of my pituitary gland exept a very small piece that attaches to the stem leading to the hyperthalamus. I am 20 months post surgery and my cortisol has been sitting on a very stable 960 ( normal range 118-619 ). I used to stress about it remaining high as some of the doctors i was seeing kept asking me what " I " was doing to keep them high !!! They asked me where i got the prescription for the hydrocortizone !!! Darn right rude if you ask me. It got so bad i was {} this close to killing myself. Anyway, at my last visit I asked the doc what my levels were and he said unchanged, still around 960 ( 964 to be exact). So i said is it possible thats just a normal level for me, he responded, its highly likely(he is my nicest doctor, he never blamed me or insinuated i was doing something to raise my levels ). So after that visit i decided to stop stressing about it, i just dont care anymore. I am exercising and eating healthy, thats the best i can do. Hopefully that will be enough to counteract the high cortisol. Hopefully i will remain well. I am certainly better than i was pre surgery. My levels were Over 1200 then. My blood pressure is down a little ( not there yet but working on it smile and same for my sugars. They are good, but im on lots of medication to maintain it. So i guess in response to your question, anything is possible, probable and who knows cos the medical world certainly dont know smile ( Hopefully they are learning more with time).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.