Cystectomy - what’s ok to eat after surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

my post op instructions gave me a few vague ideas but i wanted to see if anyone had any specific recommendations. My paper work says clear liquids, simple carbs, watermelon and white bread. what did you guys eat post surgery and how long before you went back to your usual diet?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I ate a lot of jello and chicken broth. the reason for these recommendations is because if you get stopped up it's going to be painful. I took a stool softener for 2 weeks to make sure things kept flowing. after I woke up fully and could go on a walk to the mailbox I ate small meals. excercise is how I was able to determine when I could eat and what.

• Posted

okay thank you so much! What stool softener do you recommend?

• Posted

I bought colase. it was very gentle on the system and wasnt a laxative just softened things up for an easier go.

• Posted

got that and the gas x along with my appropriate groceries. i am ready for surgery tomorrow!

• Posted

Good Luck!! remember to take it easy and ask for help if you need it!! let me know how everything goes!

• Posted

I will! Thank you soooooo much for all of the advice you have been super helpful:)

• Posted

i had soups and very light food the next day of my surgery and after that had more of vegetarian food with carbohydrates. After 4 or 5 days post surgery, I had lamb and chicken too ( in limited quantities) coz surgery had made me week.

like Madison, I too had small portions of food all through the day and was on heavy doses of stool softners for almost a week

• Posted

Chuckling here at those instructions: the only "simple carbs" are sugars, and watermelon is out of season in the northern hemisphere.

I think what they meant were bland vegetables prepared in a simple way. This would be baked, boiled or steamed potatoes or squash, but not broccoli, cauliflower or other cabbage family plants as all of them create tons more gases inside us as they break down. Nothing spicy, so no garlic or peppers. Leave off butter & tomato sauces. Winter squashes have a lot of fiber through 1 cooking. This means that canned pumpkin is helpful but not if you cook it again, as with a pie.

When in doubt, call the office that gave you the instructions. Be prepared to challenge them on the "simple carbs" and watermelon.

• Posted

Got home late last night after my procedure. Sleeping propped up in a recliner is def the way to go right now . Doc said this is one of the worst 5 cases he's ever seen (I've always been an over achiever) and even gave me pics he took during surgery, which i think is pretty cool. He said they found endometrial tissue all the way up to my liver and said he didnt know how i was walking around like that (humble brag) Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes, gonna relax now

• Posted

my beautiful tummy for anyone wondering lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.