Cystitis / UTI's after sex

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been getting reoccurring UTI's after sex and have been on endless rounds of antibiotics for the past 6 months. I had a scan of the bladder and kidneys to ensure no stones / blockages and bladder emptied correctly. I became resistant to 2 common antibiotics and only Keflex worked. I took d'mannose to ease symptoms.

After talking with friend who had another friend going through the same thing, she said the other couple had started using condoms and she was no longer getting UTI's. Well, thankfully this worked for me. As long as we use condoms I do not get UTI's anymore. While I am thankful to be out of that loop of pain & antibiotics & stress, ultimately my boyfriend and I would like to not use condoms.

Could be worth mentioning i am possibly perimenopausal, he has had a vasectomy and we are both scrupulous about hygiene and hair removal to ensure the e-coli is not coming from the anal area. Yes, my urine culture came back showing E-coli.

I'd like to know if anyone else out there had had this experience with UTI's. Ie, Condoms actually preventing the infection? My bf is negative for all STDs. Next step is to try and get a private semen analysis and urethral swab to rule out any bacterial infections.

Clearly I am triggered by something from my partner.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.