cystoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone, i waiting an appointment for cystoscopy, im really afraid, been ill with blood in my urine and lower tummy pain for 3 years, i have put this procedure of since 2012, so affraid, can someone help advice please xxx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Karen!

My goodness!!  You have probably been through the most frightening part of whatever your illness is already!  I am so sorry that you have been sick and especially for so long of a time!  A cystoscopy is NOTHING to be worried about!!  Please be assured of this by reading Jackie and everyone else's responses to previous patients' questions.....we are trying to set others at ease!  Simply ask your doctor what he is going to do and say that you don't want to feel anything.  I remember nothing except a little bit of soreness the first few times I urinated.(nothing to "write home about ")  I take no prescription meds and didn't for this procedure.....not even an aspirin!  

If you have any more specific questions, I will try to answer for you, but please don't waste your time on worrying...we all have done it at sometime or another and this isn't anything!!!

are you in the USA or UK?  That seems to make a bit of a difference as to how you are treated (drugs, etc)

have a blessed Thanksgiving Day and please let us know how you fare!

God bless,

Patty

• Posted

thank you patty, i live in the uk, i have been having uti symptoms for nearly 4 years now, but there is never an infection after testing, i have micro blood in urine now since 2012 and this time there is +3 plus blood showing on dip stick testing, have had 3 lots of antibiotics in the last 6 weeks, pain in my lower tummy, and feeling sick, ive got primary billiary desease of my liver which is stable, and just been diagnosed with mild copd lol, xxx
    • Posted

You are most welcome, Karen!  I am sorry that you have different sicknesses, but hope you can get them in control for the long haul!  If you don't mind my asking....are you taking a probiotic?  You might want to ask your doctor ....may help your tummy feel better (I am guessing...I am not a doc, of course!).  Because of the antibiotics you had been taking, would help replace some of the good bacteria in your gut.....just a suggestion! M

i hope you feel better very soon....no worries about the cystoscopy!

Blessings,

Patty

• Posted

Youve probably experienced worse through being ill, lve had cystoscopy whilst asleep and awake, they usually give you choice, and most go for being asleep, as easier,  l only stayed awake for second cystoscopy years later due to chest problem, and even that was easy. But it doesnt take long and if you choose to go to sleep for it, youve just to rest up for an hour or so after, with maybe a little soreness, or none

at all.  Try not to worry and you might get reasons for your problem and treatment to improve it. good luck

• Posted

With intersticial cystitus you get infection type symptoms pain soreness but no bacteria present, just a thought, but it could be other reasons for you, if you want to check up on i.c. theres more info on c.o.b site, the anti bs might make you feel sick and cause probs, l lived on them for years, as prescribed, got nausea for an age after, now settled.  Ditto, lve also been confirmed as some copd in last few months, after spiro tests, what are we like, wrecks, lve jsut got a new inhaler, not fit enough  for marathon yet, but helped a bit,  if its not one end its the other, anyway hope you get your cystascope soon, and not on long list, and get diagnoses treatment to help. best wishes.
    • Posted

hi lynne, ive had ultrasound on my kidneys and bladder, and ive had a pelvic xray, which showed nothing except for narrowing of space joints around hips, my blood count is ok, just itu symtoms everyday cryxx
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

I had the same procedure done a year and a half ago. The worst part was the worrry, fear and panic before the appointment. I can't tell you how scared I was. It was a tiny bit uncomfortable, but was over in less than a minute. There was no pain, just a feeling that something was there, and then it was over. I had no burning afterward when I peed like some people do and just the tiniest bit of soreness afterward. I also went on this forum and was supported by others who had gone through the procedure. So I am here to support you!! I had the very same presence of blood in my urine-still do in fact. I was +3 as well, might still be. My doctor said 15% of people have this with no explanation. I was glad to kow nothing was wrong. You will get through the procedure I promise!! I asked a friend to go with me & wait in the waiting room for support. We had a signal if I was in pain I would scream & she would run in. It just seems rediculous now because it was truly no big deal!!! Please let me know when it is over & know you are not alonebiggrin

• Posted

Hi Karen. Im in the UK too. Search on here for my very detailed posting of the whole procedure. It should help you. "Female Cystoscopy DONT Worry!" You'll be fine. Dont put it off any longer. X
    • Posted

l should have stated intersticial cystitus doesnt show up on xrays or scans, only with a cystascope, but youll find out from having it done  Can also say that cystascope is a quick easy procedure, youll be fine with it, and hopefully get answers to your problemswink
  • Posted

Had a cystoscopy a few months ago. It was totally painless.  I too was pretty nervous about the procedure and I worried for nothing!
  • Posted

Hi Karen;

I am responding to you from a male point of view since I had this done a year ago. I was awfully anxious and the idea of having a camera the size of a biro push down my penis, I was sure it would be awful. In fact they squiet a little anaesthetic down and, although this stung a little *like shampoo in the eye) this soon faded and the camera was halfway down before I knew it and, honestly, it didn't hurt at all; I could almost say I didn't feel it.

Women have a shorter urethra so it should be easier although, due to the position of the opening you are in a more embarrassing and exposed position. For men you just lay flat with a covering over your waist which has a small hole through which your penis pokes, so not too much exposure.

An advantage women do have is that most nurses doing this are female so you generally have same sex staff doing the procedure where men have to grin and bare whoever the staff are.

I had mine done at Guy's in London and all the staff were great and made me feel relaxed, which I am sure helped. The relief when all comes back clear is worth the procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.