Cystoscopy hell

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 54 year old male suffering from BPH for the past 6 years or so.

In January of this year, I went to a urologist to discuss my symptom.

I was dealing mainly with urgency (bathroom 34 times a day), and occasional pain (burning sensation when I pee).

He suggested a cystoscopy so that he could see what was going on inside.

Two days after the cystoscopy, I was struck with a severe stinging sensation in the tip of my penis. It feels like I'm being stuck with a sharp painful needle.

This pain persisted for several months about once a week. I was given nothing for the pain, and discovered OTC AZO which helped with the pain from time to time in the beginning.

In June, he did a TUIP to relieve pressure on my bladder. He told me then that it would help with urgency, but not with pain. The urgency has gotten marginally better (especially at night), but the pain has become a daily experience now instead of every week or two.

within the past month, I also now have hypersensitivity as well. Any clothing contact is painful (like a jellyfish sting). I went to see him two weeks ago and he told me to use lidocain 4% topically, and to come back in February.

even with the lidocain, I am awakened almost every night with pain and the only thing that touches the pain is 2000mg of tylenol (yeah, I said 2000mg).

Has anyone else experienced this? I am sure it is a result of the cystoscopy and the TUIP (he told me he had to stretch the urethra for the TUIP).

I can't keep taking that tylenol, but how else to deal with the pain?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you sure you dont have a bladder infection if its burning when your peeing that may be what is causing that and if your feeling nauseaed then its a bladder infection or did your doctor for that? I had a cystoscopy this year and biposy too find out what these red spots was inside my bladder and I went too the bathroom quite a bit he did go in and stretched my bladder and that did help but I still go no bleeding like I was having though. I would get that checked by another urologist.

• Posted

they've checked for various infections and haven't found anything.

i'm also leaning towards going to another urologist. but i'm not real happy with the idea that they may want to do more procedures.

• Posted

Good Evening

I still don't know why you had that procedure done. Was it because of the pain or you had problems peeing. How big was your prostate. I think you may have been deal with prostatitis. It has all the same symptoms and then some.

I hope you get better. Did you have a rigid cystoscopy. That tube is bigger then any mans urethra and it is about the same size like a 16 fr catheter but solid metal

Get well soon.....Ken.

• Posted

my urologist said the cystoscopy was required before he would give me any kind of plan for dealing with my worsening BPH symptoms.

I'm not sure how big my prostate was, but he said it was only slightly enlarged. he did say there was an obstruction just at the entrance of my bladder, which is why he reccomended the TUIP.

• Posted

Jim

What type of obstruction. It has to be your prostate but if he said it was not that big. What was it He could have given you a muscle relaxer first to try that out before he cut your prostate.

Get well Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken,

He tried giving my oxybutynin first, but as soon as I started taking it, it became difficult to urinate at all. It felt like I had to push real hard just to get started and after about two days I couldn't urinate at all. So I stopped taking it and was able to pee later that night.

He then tried Murbetriq (sp?), but my insurance company refused to pay for it.

As for the obstrution, he described it as a kind of stenosis

Jim

• Posted

Hey Jim

I am glad he did try you on something but there are a few more he could have tried you out on before he did the surgery. I was on Myrbetriq for a few week really did not help me.

I was in the hospital last November With a very bad prostate infection and my bladder was inflamed. Had to go through 7 pain full catheterization. They ended up giving be morphine for the pain. I did not pee for 17 hours and then 15.

He told me I have a tight external sphincter. So he gave me Vesicare 10 mg for the sphincter and Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg for the bladder so I would not have that trouble again. He also gave me some catheters just in case.

I hope everything is working out for you. Did you end up with any side effects.

Take care...Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken,

Glad to hear that things worked out better for you.

Right now the only side effects I have been left with is this new almost continuous pain.

Jim

• Posted

Jim

Sorry that you are still in pain. You should be able to fix that with some type of pain pill.

Surgery usually doesn't fix the cause of the problem. It will relieve the pressure of the obstruction same as the med. You just have to fine one that will work for you

Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.