Cystoscopy; too humiliating, but need it (probably)

Posted , 5 users are following.

A bit of background I've been suffering with a few issues over a number of years' that can broadly be described as down below, urinary changes/ problems and then (after a few years') pain upon ejaculation which happened for about two weeks' then stopped but concerned me enough to see my doctor which is a very rare event. (I now have a pain in my lower left abdomen). I never go there because I hate it so much, if I could have avoided this total humiliation I would have but this seemed too serious to legitimately ignore. There are only a small number of things I was willing to endure this torture for and one was the prospect of dying, and the other was not being able to get an erection. I did not know if this thing, what ever it was, came into either category. After explaining to the new young female doctor, who looked so young I thought she should still be in school, I felt about one inch tall. She looked about 16. She asked me every question (almost) I didn't really want to answer. Can this get any worse I thought to myself, probably not, but I was wrong.

Doctors and me have some history which perhaps informs my opinion of them and also perhaps my attitude, and that is that they always get it wrong. That is tolerable if annoying, no-one is perfect. What I cannot cope with though is the embarrassment. The fact that I'm embarrassed about the fact that I'm embarrassed, and the fact that they apparently could not care less how I feel. I need doctors with some human kindness, some empathy, same with nurses too. I have yet to find any.

So long story short, two years later ( yes that is accurate, I told you how useless they are when it comes to me) they have decided they want me to have a cystoscopy. My problem is I am concerned about the emotional and psychological damage this will do to me. I cannot think of anything more degrading and humiliating than getting raped up the penis. What makes everything much worse, is getting raped up the penis whilst disinterested uncaring medical people carry on as if nothing bad is happening in a vain attempt to normalise the abnormal, pretending that absolutely no-one is ever remotely embarrassed, humiliated or degraded by this procedure. Why do they do that? It is unforgivable and disrespectful. Why can't they show a shred of humanity? Would that kill them? I expressed my concerns to the nurse. There are worse things she claimed. Well not for me there isn't.

So I am in a quandary; my logical mind is telling me you need to get to the bottom of this, and I know that I do, but with my problem is two fold, my emotional part knows how damaging this will be for me and I fear that my mental health will suffer significantly, it already is. But can I get to the bottom of this another way? And because they are so utterly useless and I have no faith or trust in them, I am concerned that I will be having to do this or something very similar many times, but worse many times unnecessarily because of how utterly useless they are, they seem completely unwilling to take my emotional distress into account at all. I don't want to be sleep walked in this test, then that test, then another test all of which are humiliating, embarrassing and degrading. I told the nurse if I do this, I only want to it once, she could not hold my gaze which didn't bode well. At every turn the more I ask the more trust disappears. Getting information from them seems to be on a if you don't ask us directly we won't tell you basis. I feel like I am dragging information out of unwilling participants. They don't feel embarrassed and basically think we have no right therefore to feel anything different. There seems to be a conspiracy of pretending no-one feels humiliated by this loss of privacy and dignity and they invite the patient to be a co-conspirator in this code of silence. I am refusing to facilitate this horse manure. Any ideas anyone?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Kevin, so sorry nobody has replied to you after all the effort and detail you put in to posting! this forum is like a dry dessert with tumbleweed blowing about! either that or no one really cares! I'm curious after reading your post, did you go ahead with this?

• Posted

I'm so sorry I'm so late. I just want you to know you aren't alone. You aren't the only guy to feel this way, and to feel completely dismissed. My experience is that may urologists are indeed cold human beings. They have become calloused to nudity, suffering, and embarrassment.

I find it interesting that you consider this "penis rape." Again, you aren't alone. It can certainly feel that way. I remember thinking "so this is what rape feels like." I even got into a fight with my urologist and I told him the only differences between him and Jerry Sandusky are the clothes they wear and the DR. in front of his name.

However, there is hope. I had a female PA in another urology clinic. She took my pain, shame, and embarrassment seriously. She didn't force me to have a chaperone present for exams because she didn't want to embarrass me any more than I already was. She said all cystoscopies and related procedures would be done in the OR so that I would not experience the pain and the embarrassment of the procedures. So I guess my point is, don't be afraid to find another doctor. Some of them truly do care and will take your discomfort (including mental discomfort) seriously.

• Posted

Just wanted to day that I have also had a cystoscopy. And yes, you're right, it was also the most humiliating thing I have ever endured.

I took some tablets for anxiety a few hours before hand and there were lot of people in the waiting room all having exactly the same procedure.

To be honest with you I actually like that the doctors and nurses are witches off to this kind of thing, when you think how many dick holes they push a camera down every day, I guess they have to be switched off from it all. And for me personally, I think I prefer it that way.

The last thing I'd want is to be the only patient in the waiting room and all the staff making a fuss over me. I wan to be in and out as efficiently and as safe as possible.

• Posted

are you awake while this procedure is performed?

• Posted

Yes wide awake, unfortunately. I had some numbing gel applied but was still extremely uncomfortable. I just looked up at the ceiling and tried my bet to tolerate it until it was over with.

• Posted

i ask because there are multiple issues of privacy. its largely a pink collar field so we come up short there but there's also a tendency to sidestep some easy fixes like getting rid of chaperones at office visits. no one likes getting ambushed especially if you, ah, come up a bit short yourself.

• Posted

Feeling humiliated you mean? You are having a camera pushed through your dick hole into your bladder, it's going to be humiliating, every patient will feel the same way.

It wasn't an easy experience, but that's life for you. I took some comfort because the waiting room was busy which helped me realise we are just cattle, a.number if you will, this camera dick.operator is there for hours at a time looking at dicks and vag all day.

I don't think they care as such nor have the time for the humiliation factor, once I looked at the situation from their perspective that removed much of my anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.