Dad - 83 just got diagnosis - what do we do now?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just got the call from my brother that my 83 year old dad got his biopsy results back and it is prostate cancer.  They have an appointment on Wednesday with the dr. and I guess I want to know, what do we do now?  What questions do we ask the dr?  The dr. made the remark prior to the biopsy that even if it is cancer a stroke or my dad's COPD will kill him before the cancer does so at his age he doesn't recommend any treatment.  My thought on that was well, if you aren't going to do anything then why even do the biopsy?   I'm scared and frustrated.  A few friends have said if you're going to get cancer this is the "good" cancer to get.  Sorry I'm venting.  I moved away 4 months ago and have always been the one to handle everything for my folks.  Now, I'm not there, I'm not in control and I'm freaking out a little and my eyes are leaking alot.  Any advice would be helpful

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My dad was diagnosis with prostate cancer when he was 85, he is 94 now. Doctor told him not to do anything as he was to old and would probably die before it got any worse. They did a biopsy to see how agressive it is. He should be fine.
  • Posted

It's understandable that you have found this a shock and a worry. However, so much depends on whether the cancer is of a type that grows and spreads fast or remains static or slow-growing. Immediate treatment would only be required if it is found to be a very bad type. Chances are it is true that he'll die with it rather than because of it. I've lived with the diagnosis for several years now without treatment. Other problems with my urinary system have become much more problematic than the cancer. Hold fast, allow each stage of inquiry to take its course. Unless there is a blatant reason not to, trust the doctors. Try to relax!
  • Posted

"Cancer" is a word no one wants to hear, but this diagnosis is the start of a new journey for your dad. It is not the end by any means.

There is a lot of information that your post does not include -- how many of the cores ( tissues sampled -- usually 12) show cancer, what percent of each sample is cancerous and what is the Gleason score.

Every treatment has side effects -- sometimes not a big deal, but depending on the treatment for some men the side effects pose greater challenges. One big advantage of not treating the cancer is your dad will not face ANY of those side effects. Many (most?) prostate cancers are slow growing and "watchful waiting" or "active surveillance" may be a reasonable option for you dad.

The most important thing I have to say is don't be hasty! Your dad has weeks / months to make any firm decisions. Second most important thing I have to say -- get a second or third or even fourth opinion. Best doctor to see is an oncologist. He has no vested interest is pushing your dad toward surgery or radiation. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, my dad was diagnosed with Pca and was given a four monthly injection. dad was 72 when this strarted he lived untill age 87. Dad died from pnemonia after a fall it was totaly not cancer related. Try not to wory untill you have seen an oncologist.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your responses.  I've "come down off the edge of the cliff some"  I think it was that initital shock of "dad has cancer" that scared me to death.  He has an appt. this week with his dr. that did the biopsies and I'm going to make the trip home to go with them.  Mosski - I don't know how many samples they did exactly but I do know that all them were cancerous.  Other than that I don't have any information.  Those are all questions I want to ask at the appointment on Wednesday.  I was going to ask if we should be referred to an oncologist and from the posts I am going to ask that his dr. do the referral.  After talking to my dad this weekend.  He was teary and shocked but overall him and my mom were in good spirits.  Of course I spent hours researching over the weekend and of course you find the horror stories but all in all I'm feeling good about our options.  Thank you all again!  Hope you all have a wonderful week!
  • Posted

Well yesterday definitely wasn't what I was hoping to hear.  They did 16 samples and all were cancerous.  The dr. said it is an aggressive cancer and they are worried it has spread to the bladder.  His Gleason is a 7 and PSA 6 - the dr. said he was shocked the PSA was so low because there is so much disease.  They started hormone therapy shots before we left yesterday.  He got one in each side of his stomach.  Going for a bladder scope and CT scan next week.  Plan now is he will do 8 weeks of radiation 5 days a week unless something else shows up on the scans.  He also has an abdominal aortic aneurysm that is a 4.75 along with COPD and has had a couple of small strokes.  I feel lost and angry and confused.  I fully trust this dr. and his team.  Please pray for understanding for us all and that dad can kick this cancer! 
  • Posted

This is devastating for you, and I wish you and your Dad and all close to you as much luck and strength as possible. This is a risk to say, but I found that relatives of mine (Father, Sister, Father-in-Law) having a diagnosis that looked eventually terminal gave us some opportunity to prepare and to varying degrees share things we needed to say. Would it have been worse if the aneurysm was undiscovered and a sudden death occurred? Not for your father, perhaps who would know nothing about it, probably, but a sudden loss certainly can be very traumatic for those left behind. At times like these we humans do seem to find inner emotional resources we didn't know were possible. I hope you can access these until your father's condition goes either way, and of course I hope for you that it will one of health and quality of life for the time he has.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.