Dad with dementia

Posted , 3 users are following.

he has had dementia for about 5 yrs. I'm his youngest daughter taken care of him. He had shortness of breath/ hard time breathing. i called 911. they checked him out, found out he was AFIB. admitted into the hospital. ended up not being able to urinate. they tried to put a catheter, he screamed bloody murder. making himself for strained. He has Glaucoma, stage 3 kidneys failure, congestive heart, AFIB, Catheter needs to stay in, enlarge prostate. now pneumonia. 1st time was released to rehab. (it was horrible!) we had to fight to take him back to the Hospital, he ad to have another cath. put would have preferred for him to stay in the hospital, but orders were to take him back. he had a fever. they only had the mouth kind. he need the one on forehead. they checked said no fever. i went to get mine it said 102. I told them he now has a different cough. it does not sound right. she checked over his clothes, said he sounds fine, next day i found him soaking wet, still with fever. i had to change him. i said now he has labored breathing. it could be his heart. they said blood levels looked fine. i demanded he be taken to the hospital. they admitted. said bad pneumonia. still has fever, now is constipated.

per Dr. #1 is to clear up pneumonia. someone that is 80 has a 50% chance. i know my dads chance is lower but are we looking at months or weeks?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.