Daughter diagnosed with HSP at 4 1/2

Posted , 3 users are following.

We just found out what has been causing my daughters stomach pain. She first had some diarrhea a low temp and the tummy ache for days. Blood found in urine, uti was negative. Then a raah started along with leg pain that switched from one leg and foot to the other foot. Blood tests were taken and ultrasounds. Blood in urine went down and positive for HSP. Ultrasound was fine besides some constipation. Were advised to keep up with miralax daily and tylenol and needed for pain. Ive read other stories go this doesn't go away. But was told it does after about 4-6 weeks. Where should I start with her diet? She is very picky as so are we. Hoping I can do anything to help her. Any advice for anything at this point is helpful.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy, In my daughter's case, we found that a bland diet (lots of fruits and veggies) helped. She avoided dairy and wheat for some time. She also drank lots of water. Kefir also sometimes helped. For younger kids, I've heard that it lasts generally for a few weeks. Hope your daughter gets better soon!

• Posted

Hey Amy!  My son was diagnosed 3 years ago (2015), at age 5 (the day we registered him for kindergarten).  The spots, swelling, vomiting, etc lasted just over a month for us.  The kidney damage was another story.  We were lucky to find a pediatric nephrologist in our local area that had seen cases before and knew exactly how to treat!  We began with the watch and wait game.  This lasted about 7 months.  Once his protein creatinine raised to 10.7 (typically .4 and below) we were sent for a kidney biopsy.  This was followed by steroids and BP meds to stop the increase of damage and repair damage already done to the kidneys.  We visited the nephrologist monthly, then every  months, then every 6 months, until being released late last year (2017). We were released "until it flares back up or we feel that we need to see him again".  It is an ongoing struggle to keep him well so that an infection of some sort does not flare it back up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.