Day 10 of 25mg sertaline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well I have suffered anxiety now sine I was 19 years old. I am now 47.. A lifetime and more. Most of this time I have suffered on my own as had some terrible side effects with seroxat, proactive and was on mirtazapine for two years and it didn't help. Finally after around 10 years I decided I need help. So here I am today on 25mg of Sertaline e. So far the side effects have been bearable. A little more anxious than usual and had one big panic while shopping but I did not drive home, I continued to shop.

So now I am supposed to be increasing to 50mgs.. well should have done this on Wednesday gone. The reason I haven't is I am taking my kids on a 3 hour train journey next week and don't want to risk feeling worse. I must say this experience has not been as bad as some have said but I guess I'm worried incase the 50mgs bring on real bad side effects.

Any thoughts. Thanks ??

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Please hang in there with your medication because fearing the effects will intensify your anxiety.

I take 50mg of sertraline and yes, I do think initially it enhanced my symptoms...but, and this is a big but, I had the symptoms anyway but at least with the medication they slowly but surely became manageable

You should be immensely proud that although you had a nasty panic attack whilst shopping you did not run home! To have done so would have opened the door to agoraphobia....a mistake I made many years ago and one which I came to bitterly regret.

Take you meds and have a positive attitude towards them and let me know how you fare

You'll be fine

• Posted

Hi,

50mg is not a high dose of Sertraline so I would not worry too much. That said I did not get on with Sertraline but that is just me. What side effects are you getting? ADs can take 6 to 8 weeks work properly and some of the side effects should wear off over this time.

BW, BM

• Posted

I'm 45, and in a similar boat having had anxiety since I was 23. I was on sertaline for years, and it really did help with anxiety. Being hard headed, I quit sertaline cold turkey 5 years ago, which was a dumb move. After the withdrawal junk ended, everything was good for a while. I really shouldn't have gone off of it, because I think I need it again, but am afraid to start. Now there's so much info on side effects, whereas when I started years ago, nobody really had computers to look everything up. This med isn't for everyone, but I'm glad it's going well with you. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with waiting until after the train ride to increase the dose. Baby steps does wonders. Enjoy the train ride. smile

• Posted

In that instance, when you first took meds, Ignorance truly was bliss.

Its somewhat like being stuck in the horns of a dilemna isnt it? We require knowledge to help us as best we can and make informed judgements. On the other hand, learning of the side effects of medication can frighten us.

I would say to anyone who feels the need of them ( because then your mind is seeking help and support for the body) just hang in there and give them time to take effect. If you feel the anxiety is ruining your life then at least with medication you see a means to an end. Because once they settle down in your system you start to feel more able to cope

But each individual as to make a choice for themselves

• Posted

Since I was on them for so long, I really wanted to try coping without them. A test of wills, and added maturity is what made me want to try going it alone for a bit. I only regret doing the cold turkey thing, because that was horrible.

Ignorance truly was bliss. Any side effects I felt, I just chalked it up to the anxiety and depression. lol

• Posted

When I first began suffering I was prescribed dothiepan 75mg and took them for years then stopped dead and was fortunate enough not to have any withdrawal symptoms.

I cannot say the dothiepan helped me much but in my mind surely something was better than nothing and anyway, the attitude of doctors then and the variety of medication was not what it is now.there wasn't a viewpoint of if it doesnt help we'll try something else

I understand you wanted to cope without them, not just because of added maturty and a hopeful test of wills. But from a taking control of yourself desire, That was the very reason I stopped

Its all trial and error isn't it?

• Posted

More errors than trials lol

I've never even heard of the first med you were on. Good thing there's more to choose from now instead of having a one size fits all type of med.

I'm still trying to hold on as long as possible, but I'm pretty sure that my family is sick of my anxiety and depression. The lust for life has been gone for a while, but it's getting worse. I pretty much just stay in my bedroom most of the day. It was acceptable after surgery, and with the delayed healing, but now I'm very used to staying in the room. Hopefully I can pull myself out of this slump.

• Posted

Surgery has a huge impact upon mind and body.It simply drains you. I once, as a young woman with small children, had a very painful condition that damn well nearly killed me but for the life saving emergency op I endured.

And one would think gratitude would be all you feel, wouldnt you? But it doesnt work like that. I was exhausted, fearful of every other niggling ache and pain and felt really down.

You will recover dear. We often talk of baby steps on this forum and thats how you have to tackle it. Even the smallest thing can help, a slow barefoot  walk round the garden,...being barefoot grounds you to nature. Im always barefoot unless out in public..the soles of my feet have the consistency of an elephants ass.A soak in a lavender scented bath, practise your breathing,  to ease tension.Sitting at the window looking out at life and nature, and really taking notice of what you see, the shape of a leaf, the single blades of grass, the birds and the insects and the flowers and shrubs

You are going to have to plan a small pleasure to look forward to each day. Just for you. It might be as silly as at 4pm gorging on a bar of chocolate! Doesn't matter what it is. Just something to focus upon. To look forward to

• Posted

Addendum

Cloud reading, lol. Amazing the shapes and things you can see in the formation of clouds!

• Posted

I want to adopt you! lol

I've never had any surgery bother me, not even when my jugular was cut. Whatever this low is from, it's a mix of getting too comfortable staying in my room, and something else. There was a lot of thinking time.

Barefooter's Unite! lol My daughter and I are always barefoot. smile

• Posted

I've been on 200mg of Sertraline for 3 years now and it helped to begin with but I find some of the side effects quite embarassing for a 24 year old male if you catch my drift.

Apart from that, side effects for me have been limited. 

• Posted

Did you ask your GP if that was a side effect because of it being a high dose?
    • Posted

I think she said it was, but she also said most SSRI's are the same.

• Posted

Oh, youre right sad Did a bit of research on the subject.

Oh dear, what a bummer!

• Posted

pretty embarassing - it means I can't go on a night out or anything and the problem is, because I haven't actually been diagnosed with "depression" nobody really wants to put me on antidepressants. #FML

• Posted

Were I you I'd go back to the GP and talk over the problem and theres no need to be embarrassed whatsoever. There must be an answer the GP can provide where you can be yourself, enjoy yourself

Dont just give in and think, Thats it! Game over!

Its not.

• Posted

it's just trying to find a GP who will actually discuss mental health with me. They all say it's up to the Psychiatrist who I can only see every 3 months or so. So irritating. 

• Posted

Irritating? I'd be furious!

I've never heard such a load of horsesh*t in my whole life. There are GPs all over the world who are treating their patients for anxiety related illnesses. Therefore to dare to say it's all down to a psychiatrist is downright disgraceful!

Where the hell do you live anyway?

Outer Mongolia?

Jeez! I'm angry for you Andy

• Posted

I live in South West Scotland. It's like living in the back of beyond but one GP told me they are "not allowed" to help with my mental health as it has to be a shrink!

• Posted

Well now I am totally floored!

Was that a local GP? Is it a group practice?

I'm in the wilds of West Yorkshire, hillbilly land but even my local GP group practice treats patients with anxiety/depression and numerous other ailements that fall under the same umbrella.

They dont shuffle us off on a psychiatrist unless they feel it absolutely necessary or the patient has requested psychiatric help.

Is there another practice within reasonable distance? Or another doctor you can go back and try to talk it over with?

• Posted

unfortunately I left my nearest GP surgery due to a fallout with a doctor over the same issue. The one I'm with now is 8 miles from home and I've tried all 6 GP's... does my head in.

• Posted

Do you absolutely have to wait 3 months before seeing your psychiatrist? I see mine every 3 months for a 15 minute med check, but can stay longer or come in more often.
    • Posted

Sertaline is an antidepressant, so if you haven't been diagnosed officially, who put you on them, a GP?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.