Day 11 of 30 mg citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Really really struggling on upped dose of citalopram , been taking the increased dose ten days now and feeling horrendous , waking up like I'm coming out of a coma , I really don't know how much more I can take , feeling awful , tingling and shaking , mind not right , can't focus , I feel creepy all over and cannot relax or "shut off" .

edgy is an understatement . Losing hope .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Garyflinn,

I know how you feel that can of mind all over the place feeling. It will get better it's just time. I had my dose upped from 20mg to 40mg and I feel a little better. It is a rough ride difference emotions from day to day. Just go with it if you feel that crazy I can relax feeling then get up do something. If your tired sleep have little nap. Eat well and drink water. Good luck

Penny

• Posted

Hi Gary. Just a thought...I remember you recently started mirtazapine too? Maybe it could be that? I tried mirtazapine before citalopram and it was horrendous.... I became suicidal on it.

Im now on week 7 on 20 mg citalopram and im not feeling great either.... Im trying to hang in there. Its the only antidepressant thats stopped me crying every single day!

Has your gp said that it could be the increase in citalopram?

Alison

• Posted

Nobody mentioned it could be the increase in citalopram , i cut the mirtazapine in half last night so will try taking half for a few nights , feel really out of it though , spaced out , tingly , weak , bad stomach , weakness , blurred vision . It's awful , hoping it eases I really am x
    • Posted

I'm 10weeks into taking 20mg of citlaopram and it's a real journey, I could go 10 days feeling great then BAM just like today I feel dreadful don't want to get get out of bed, sore head and shaky and heart racing, I can hear my husband and kids downstairs playing with their Christmas toys and I really do want to go down and play too but I just can't.

I know it will improve in a few days but this is really crap feelings, stick with your meds aftrer eading everyone's posts they do work but it is so hard on the bad days I reAlly hope my days improves I really want to cry but I can't

• Posted

I don't know wether it's the increase or not , doesn't help having m.s but I've been here before on citalopram , just don't remember felling like this , really scared it won't ease or get better X
    • Posted

Sparkly I sound just like you. Its awful illness for anyone to suffer but when you have young children its hard to explain the guilt you feel! I have a 14 year old and a 3 year old and I find it hard to put on a face for them but I reckon they keep me going to be honest.

I hope the citalopram kicks in for you real soon x

• Posted

All of what you have said tho I really did get with mirtazapine side effects. Maybe you should make an Appt with your gp and discuss how youre feeling.... I cant believe they increased your citalopram aswell as starting you on mirtazapine and amitriptyline! How would you know whats really causing what. I hope it eases for you soon x
    • Posted

Hi Alison reassuring it's not just me, I have a 5 yr old and 6 month old, I sometimes look at them and could just cry with the guilt I feel for being anxious and not wanting them ever to see it!!!!!

I'm having a pretty crap day today but I guess I just have to go with it, I'm also hormonal too waiting for the cycle to start so I'm feeling extra anxious and I'm hoping its to do with that

• Posted

Im always about sparkly if you need to chat, just pm me x I know how youre feeling... I had post natal depression after my 3 year old which was left untreated and im still not right. Tried several antidepressants which made things worse..... Citalopram is the only thing thats stopped me from crying so it must be doing something, just wished the anxiety and thoughts wouod go! Im always worse a few weeks before im due on too.....the joys of being a woman!
    • Posted

If you don't mind me asking Did you suffer with anxiety before you had post natal depression with ur 3 yr old??
    • Posted

Ive always had it on and off but its been debilitating the last 3 years
    • Posted

I'm the same but when I went to see my dr 2months ago she said it was just my anxiety back and if I hadn't had it before I was pregnant she would have said it PND but because I've had anxiety for 8 years she says it's not but truthfully I'm not convinced I

Think it is A form of PND

• Posted

Hi Gary, I'm not going to read through all the other responses but jump ahead to some questions.  Why was the dosage upped?  How were you feeling on the previous dose?  How long were you on the previous dose?

I think everyone taking these drugs needs to go online and check out the package insert information about side effects and which ones are considered serious with "see your doctor" if you have them.  The amount of difficulty people have going on this drug is extra-ordinary, yet other uses constantly urge to push through, it will get better.  Only you can decide whether continuing to tolerate the severity of the side effects you are experiencing is do-able, but I would also strongly encourage you to inform your doctor of your difficulties. 

There is a genetic test for cytochrome p450 that identifies whether you are a poor metabolizer of these drugs or not.  People who don't metabolize them well end up with much more severe side effects than others, and because the drug is not cleared at a normal rate, it builds up, so going up in dose is actually dangerous.  So, please talk to your doctor.  

I suspect the usefulness of this test is that they would then choose from the drugs that have shorter half-lives, since the last thing you'd want is to take one that has a longer half life when you aren't clearing well to begin with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.