DECEMBER 5th 2016 abdominal fibroid surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have an up and coming surgery ( myomectomy) to remove my 9cm fibroid that is submucosol and at the back of my urterine wall. anyone can share their story here on what to expect pre and post surgery? also how long til you could try to concieve safetly? 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm 12 weeks post myomectomy to remove a10cm fibroid that was blocking my tubes. I'm assuming you're not getting keyhole but an open myomectomy?

• Posted

That's what I had and I was absolutely terrified. I needn't have been though as looking back it wasn't too bad. You can expect to have a morphine drip at first then onto painkillers. You'll have a catheter too which was put in while under anesthetic. Didn't hurt at all when they took it out. You may have a drain too which is a little bit sorer coming out but hopefully you'll have had painkillers before. What was worse for me was the pain of trapped wind on day 3. The hospital gave me peppermint tea which I was drinking in gallons but I'd take something in yourself for it if it's NHS. I'd also start taking a gentle laxative a couple of days after to help soften stools as I had constipation for 2 weeks.

You'll need to rely on people for the first few weeks as you'll be resting and although you are encouraged to get up and about, don't push yourself too quick. I reckoned I'd be off work for about 5 weeks but I was off for 10.

I was advised no sex for 3 months which I've stuck too, probably because it's been the last thing on my mind. I also had an injection of decapeptol 3 months before surgery to shrink the fibroid and then another after surgery to stop my periods and allowing healing.

I'll be visiting the surgeon soon to see what the next steps are re conceiving.

Hope this helps a little.

I'm seeing my surgeon on Monday so I'll see what the next steps are

• Posted

Thank you for the information. I hve been reading up on post surgery tips. How was your transitioning with diet? Also did you suffer from hair loss? I currently have clumps of hair falling and this has been going for over a year now.
    • Posted

Hey, yes I had hair loss and thinning for a while but I'm pleased to say it's looking much better now. I used a shampoo specific for that and I'm still using it. Whether it worked or not it made me feel better and it's definitely improved. I didn't eat much for about 4 days after surgery and then started on small portions of porridge or muesli, soups and chicken salads. Plenty fibre and protein!

• Posted

Good to hear, what isntye name of the shampoo? I have thinning mainly on the crown of my head and knots all over from not detanglibg well since every time I try my hair rips out. Looks weak brittle and very dull. I can pull it out easily. Its horrible.
  • Posted

Hi. I use supplement pills with biotin or silica in and they have helped my hair, and nails. I'm not sure my hair is thicker but it grows faster and stronger.

Check your iron levels if you have a heavy blood loss due to fibroids as this can cause anaemia which affects your hair. This happened to me.

Best wishes

• Posted

That is exactly my issue, taking supplements but I have not seen a change. Been on supplements for about 3weeks now.

Maybe post surgery thingns will get better, hair situation at least.

• Posted

I WOULD LOVE TO BLOG ABOUT MY PRE AND POST SURGERY HERE FOR AN OPEN MYOMECTOMY FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED IN READING MY EXPERIANCE. I will try to remember everything in detail for myself and you guys who are currently carryig these little suckers inside. I am currently nervous and doing all of my prep and research.

I hope this helps people out💕

I may start the blog on a new diss usion next week so look forward to it👍👍👍👍👍👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.